cube panther problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by brianbobcat, Dec 26, 2003.

1. brianbobcat macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2003
    I recently bought a fully functional cube off ebay. When the cube arrived, i swapped the HD i had in my iMac DV out with the cube's HD. When i went to start up the cube in panther, whether off the HD or Install Disks, the cube Kernal Panics. The cube works fine in OS 9 and jaguar(10.2) I've zapped the PRAM, updated firmware, checked the drive, and i have enough memory to run panther. I've recently gotten a message at startup saying "ROM ndvr for ATV, Rage 128Pd is too old(0xb6z4698)" Recently, the cube's gone to the login window at startup, but doesn't recognize my username. I plan on upgrading the RAM and possibly even the graphics card. ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Brian Kaempen
    You can email me at:
  2. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    two possible problems:

1) the cube's stock processor runs at 450mhz. as far as i've heard, panther is much happier with at least 500mhz to play with. there are several processor upgrades you can get; see the links at the end of this post.

2) the cube's stock video card doesn't support quartz extreme. given that error message, this might be more of a problem for you than the processor speed.

i've also got a cube, but i haven't upgraded the processor or the video card (yet... just you wait, all cubies do it sooner or later) so i'm not running panther and can't give you any 1st hand advice. but check out for all things cube; their FAQs and forums have tons of good information.

for parts & upgrades, try OWC. they've got all sorts of processors, video cards, &c. at good prices, and are

good luck!
  3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't know if this is a problem to throw money at. I'm sure it can be solved for free with research and thinking.

I have seen Panther work very very well on a G4 400 and a G3 333, which didn't have quartz extreme. Also, there are plenty of stock cubes out there not having this problem.

You've done most of the things I'd suggest (firmware, PRAM, memory). How about this--put your original drive back and try installing Panther on it. That way you can rule out something disagreeable with the disk or the installation.

Lastly, have you checked Apple's support boards? If somebody else has this problem they'd probably report it there.
  4. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    I agree with Horrortaxi. Put in the original drive and do a clean install of Panther. This will most likely fix your problems.