cube upgrade dual 1ghz mod or safe fannless giga designs?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mord, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I was wandering how to upgrade my cube as I would like to do the dual 1ghz mod though is it worth the time trouble and expence? I know I am capable of doing it but whats the reliability like? a more likely option is a Giga designs fanless cube upgrade but can it be fanless with my hot radon 9000 blasting heat out?

please no responses from people that haven't actualy upgraded a cube thanks.

(I'm an insane 15 year old mac freak that can take apart a cube faster than nyone)

2. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

3. AnotherMortal macrumors regular

Cube a gimmick?

Well, I guess 140,000 silly people bought them, and still people seek them out and pay top dollar.

Checkout www.cubeowner.com sometime and see what the beloved Cube can do.

Silly? Dunno about that. look at mini-itx.com sometime. Is that silly?

Hector:

Gigadesigns said their processor was designed for stock Cubes with stock video cards. I suggest adding the fan if you go with Gigadesigns, or go for broke (literally) and get the PL 7457 which runs cooler, and faster (1.4GHz vs 1GHz) than the gigadesigns.

But then again, I still don't have the $$$ to even get a USB hub after buying my Cube, so I'm commenting based on what I've read from others who have the money to mod.

4. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

don't think it would be worth the time or money, you'd still have slow SDRAM no DDR you'd have a slow system bus, slow AGP etc

5. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

its people like you that are never happy with the speed of any computer. my mac doesn't even have agp, it has a 100mhz bus and a G4 500 at its heart. its all the computer I need and then some. its people like you that need to understand that some people have an emotional attachment to a system that has been loyal to them as mine has been to me. its not all about screaming speed. also, many people cannot afford a new system, I am one of those. I have upgraded every aspect of my system that can be upgraded one at a time as I have money for each.

to be honest I would rather have this trusty old powermac that I have fully upgraded than a new G5. some people just don't get it, hector does. upgrade away hector!

6. panphage macrumors 6502

Wow, people, the ignorance in this thread is killing me. The cube a gimick? And yet many, many people have cubes that are clocked as fast as any G4 apple ever offered, with 120GB HDDs and 1.5GB ram. How is that not serious? Oh, and apple doesn't even sell G4s at 1.4GHz anymore, so lots of cubes are FASTER than any G4 you can buy new. As for DDR, no G4 has EVER utilized DDR as anything but SDRAM. The chips just can't do it.

HECTOR:
    I wouldn't suggest doing the dual mod right now. It's really, really intense, and probably will cost you a ton. That dual you saw on cube-zone is done by a Cubeowner.com member, he fried a mobo during the experiment because someone provided him with mis-labeled wires. I also don't trust the Giga "no-fan" claim, it's BS. They're using a 7455, it uses at least 2x the power of the stock cube proc. Wait for the 7457 upgrades to be more plentiful and in greater variety. A 7457 @ 1.0GHz actually uses LESS power than the cube's original 450!

7. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

There have been numerous reports of people frying their cubes by exceeding the stock power draw. Duals in combination with a graphics card upgrade, hard drive speed upgrade, and a fan is just asking for a puff of smoke. Certain upgrade cards appear to bring about this unfortunate occurance more often than others.

8. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I deleted the inflammatory posts. People keep it nice. You wouldn't want to go get yourself banned over a cude-upgrade thread would you?

blue&white: you have already said enough to get banned, but i checked your previous posts and you seem like you are ordinarily a good guy. Consider this a warning. keep it cool.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i would be very concerned about any dual G4 in that little space, i think i would use a high single and be happy with that. a 1.0 or 1.25 g4 should do very well. Remember the bus is only 100 so i would think a 1 gig or 1.25 single is really maxing that bus out with no problem. After that its just to say you have the appearence of speed though not much or any gain in real performance. also to Hector you shouldnt dis people because they dont own a cube. a lot of Powermac owners like myself( G4 1.47 ) and Imac owners know a heck of a lot more about Cubes then a lot of cube owners thank you.

10. AnotherMortal macrumors regular

I think Hector was specifically looking for people who have upgraded their Cubes to give him feedback, not people (like me) who haven't upgraded their Cubes, or other people who do not own a Cube.

But you are right, some people do know more about Cubes than Cube owners... like Apple Certified Technicians. I would humbly bow in the presence of an Apple Tech who know their stuff. Everyone else, well...I'd probably ask the same thing as Hector, only people with experience in the question please reply. y'know?

11. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

sorry if I gave the impressioin that I hate people that dont own cubes I dont just blue and white man has given that type of responce to me before so I was just a bit annoyed with him.

thanks for the feedback ill be waiting for a dual 7457 card that I can put in my cube supported or unsupported, I need my dual man I wish powerlogix sold that replacement dc/dc board

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If you read the many reviews and articles over at Xl8yourmac on powerlogix upgrades you may find they have not rated as high as the giga,sonnet or owc offerings. just thought id mention that. also they have a lot of good info on improving the cube as does the cube zone.