"Cube"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Anyone familiar with the "Cube" movies?

They're one of the oddest film series ever. First came "Cube", which was about six people imprisoned in a gigantic deathtrap. The "cube" was a series of interconnected rooms...some of which were lethal, some of which weren't. The rooms periodically moved on tracks, which made it even harder to determine the correct escape route.

Then came "Cube 2: Hypercube", which presented an "improved" cube. This one had rooms which could move in and out of the fourth dimension.

Both films left it tantalizingly vague as to what exactly the Cubes were for, and why certain people were picked to be the guinea pigs within it...though it was suggested that the Cubes were some kind of government-sponsored experiment gone berserk.

Perhaps we'll find out. I hadn't heard a word about this, but purely by accident I came across a third "Cube" movie: "Cube Zero". This one's a prequel, and may fill us in with more data as to what kind of sick mind would have constructed these things in the first place.

One thing I find interesting about these movies is that they seem to come out of nowhere. "Cube" was a surprise hit. I never even knew they were producing a sequel ("Hypercube"), nor this latest one. It's kind of weird how these films appear with almost no publicity, they're just...there.

Has anyone seen "Cube Zero"? I know I'll be looking for it at my video store tomorrow.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I saw "Cube" about two years ago as part of an anthropology subject I was undertaking. Thanks for the info about the other versions, I didn't know there were any so it looks like it's off to the video store for me...

Just a BTW, for those who haven't seen any of these, the original (the only one I've seen) is a prime example of how people react to out-of-the-ordinary situations. It's a great movie. :)

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I loved The Cube, own it on DVD in fact. That movie simply rocks.

Cube 2: Hypercube isn't as good, but it's still an intriguing movie.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Is Cube Zero by the same people who made Cube and Cube 2? If so, I'm going to look for it since I enjoyed the first two.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Looks like there will be a Boxed Set of all 3 available soon for those, like me, who have seen Cube, but don't yet own any of these on DVD. £14.99 delivered? Sounds like a deal to me :)

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I saw the original "Cube" movie and knew of "Hypercube", but didn't have the opportunity to watch it yet. I didn't know that there was a third movie though.

I really like "Cube" (especially because of the math involved ;)) but I always feared "Hypercube" would be a let-down. Now I'll have to see if I can find them.

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

One of the writers of "Hypercube" is the writer and director of "Cube Zero".

From the reviews I've seen, "Cube Zero" looks like a worthy member of the trilogy. They said that they went with a prequel because, after "Hypercube" they didn't really have anywhere to go with the story in terms of a sequel.

Link to IMDb page and trailer

8. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

EDIT: potential spoiler :eek:

Every time i hear cube i think of the scene where the policeman (was it him) narrowly escapes the circle of steel wires winding up on him. I always wonder how that would have ended if he wasn't able to escape... messy that's for sure.

Great movie, i definitely should see the other two. Thanks for pointing them out.

9. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Another movie by the director of Cube....

is a movie called 'Company Man' and it too pushes the edge. I strongly recommend this movie if you enjoyed 'Cube'. I will not give away any plot in case someone wants to see it (got this DVD to0!)

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

*WARNING, POTENTIAL SPOILER*

I started watching it years ago but couldn't get past the scene where the guy gets diced up. That just turned my stomach. I really can't watch stuff where people get mutilated like that. :(

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yes, you're right, these movies are not really for the squeamish.

I looked it up on IMDb, and there's a 2000 comedy called "Company Man". That's not it. They list a 2002 movie called "Cypher". That's the one iAlan is talking about. It goes by the alternate title of "Company Man". A little confusing, which is why I wanted to clarify the difference between the 2000 movie and the 2002 movie.

And yes, it looks very interesting. I'll definitely be looking for that, iAlan. Thanks for the tip.

12. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Thank for the clarification. Maybe 'Company Man' is the Japanese title (I bought the DVD here and the cover is in Japanese - maybe Cypher just didn''t translate well...anyway, you will enjoy the movie no matter what you call it!

13. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

i liked Cube, never saw the second one...and didn't know there was a prequel...thats cool, I will have to keep my eyes open

14. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I saw cube and couldn't get away from how low budget it was. Acting wasn't that good and there were 3 sets and 1 costume. Its like they wrote a concept around how cheap they could make the movie.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*SPOILER WARNING, I GUESS? :eek: *

So, for the original Cube movie, what do people think about the meaning of the ending? For some reason, after I saw it, I was haunted for a long time by how the movie ends -- with all of the people who interacted with the others based on altruistic or selfish motivations dying, and only the autistic man surviving.... I wonder if there was a deep meaning implied there, about the adaptivity of modern altruism, and the end result of a welfare state sort of conceptualization of the social contract, or if it was just a pretty random idea for how the movie should end....

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

if you are into stories like this you should read KAFKA. his novels are all about an overwhelming system, that leads to destruction of an individual. very disturbing, no explanation is given. it just shows how helpless the individual can be.....
    we had to read them at school. i always hated them although it's good literature.

andi

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I know...I have read him. Kobo Abe, too by the way, writes about these themes a lot, although if you didn't like Kafka I doubt you'd like Abe....

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

now that i'm older i actually like Kafka. It was just when i was young one is more into optimistic novels. at least i wasn't into depressing stories about a stubborn gatekeeper or an execution without reason. only mature personalities should be exposed to that stuff. i guess it's like Wagner Operas....... ;)

as for cube i of course can't explain the ending. i think it very much depends on with what person you can identify yourself most (if at all). i don't want to write too much here because the movie is to good to spoil it for others...

19. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

i recently made my girlfriend watch this movie with me as it is a neo-classic in my house. she loved it, and we have since seen the other movies. all available at hollywood video, and free with MVP!

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In that case, check out Abe if you're ever interested to. I personally am kind of scared of the sort of hopelessness they both fall into at times, but Abe has beautiful imagery and detail in his novels. Woman in the Dunes (Suna no Onna) is the most famous one, and is a good one, although I personally like Secret Rendezvous (dunno the original title) and Face of Another (Tanin no Kao) the best. Woman in the Dunes was made into a movie, which was critically acclaimed, but I personally did not like it much. Introspection by the main character is a really important element Abe uses, and all the internal dialog and thoughts of the protaganist were really not included in the movie.

21. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, I've seen it.

Mini review:

The movie doesn't tell us much that we didn't know before. The tendency seems to be to give out information in little dribs and drabs.

SPOILER WARNING for those who haven't seen the first two films:

(Click and drag to read.)

Before, we knew that the Cube was built by some corporation (I forget the name) for the government, and that it seems to be some sort of "forgotten" experiment. Essentially, they keep running these tests on people because no one ever told them to stop.

END SPOILER.

We do learn a little more here, about why these people are in the Cube in the first place, but again, it only advances our knowledge of the thing a little at a time.

The real focus of the movie is what goes on outside the Cube. The film spends fully 50% of its time on two low-level technicians who are monitoring the subjects inside the Cube, as they debate the ethics of the device.

It would not be revealing too much to say that they receive a visit from one of their higher-ups...but even he has a higher-up, so we still don't know who's at the top of the chain issuing the orders. The character of their immediate boss, Mr. Jax, is a little over-the-top, but still intriguing.

I think it's very safe to say that the paranoia factor is still in top form here. There are, however, a few niggling questions.

SPOILER WARNING for those who haven't seen "Cube Zero":

Much is made of the possibility that these sickos have snatched one of the characters' daughter...yet we see her at the end of the film. I think that needs a little more explaining.

Also, the way the movie ends suggests a link to the beginning of the original "Cube" movie...although the character names aren't the same.

END SPOILER.

Some have suggested that this movie series pretty much now has nowhere else to go. Perhaps. I think that within the Cube, that's true. Seen it, been there, done that. But they've left enough vague to allow them to continue the series...probably following "Hypercube". On the other hand, some things are creepier left unexplained, and to give more faces and rationales to the sociopaths that run the Cube would probably serve only to lessen the concept's basic horror: that anyone would conceive of something so incredibly sadistic in the first place.

You gotta love the macabre motifs: significant elements of the movie rely on file cabinets and elevators...everyday cubes that take on sinister new meanings within the confines of this film. This movie may do for elevators what "Psycho" did for showers.

Overall, I consider this perhaps the weakest of the trilogy, but only slightly so. It's still worth your time. But definitely see the others first, if you already haven't. In the time line of the series, this movie may come first...but in reality, it's definitely the third movie, because you'll "get it" much better if you've seen the first two.