CubicQTVR Navigation

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, I've been playing around a bit with the 3D and Apple's CubicQuickTime VR stuff - and finally made a navigable series of pages. It wasn't all that simple and the tutorial that I downloaded from Apple was incomplete and had an error. So after a bit of trial and error I managed to come up with something.

Please remember that this is in its infancy - I'll be updating the model as I can, adding rooms and such. The rendering was done on Lighwave (it took several hours to render all 6 images for each CubicQTVR). Using the hotspots I've come up with I think a slick way to do a interactive gallery, which I'll hopefully get done in a week or so.

click here to view

feedback is appreciated

Thanks,

D

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

that's pretty cool! If this board had a "thumbs up" smilie I'd give you one, but it doesn't so you'll have to settle for :cool:

Lethal

3. vitruvius macrumors regular

nice

its quite nice duke, did u modeled for the VR or u already had the model? did u do the hotspots with the image files as in the tutorial? its not so much smooth walkthru but it works nice. maybe u can put a bigger wood tile, they look weird. cupule space is very nice. how did u get the 6 images? change the camera to square proportion and rotate 90 degrees for each image?or isnt that easy?

it would be possible to put a VR in a .Mac page in Movie section?

keep going its a nice work:cool:

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

the quarter dome supports are from another animation - for FlossGordon - but I haven't used them yet so I played around with it to see how it would look. Found out that there were some issues with the glass on the dome, so I fixed it. All the other stuff was made for the CubicQTVR from scratch. I'll add more detail and better textures and some effects for a few items, terrain and such. Wouldn't mind doing a full moon scene as well, could be pretty cool. And I'll end up using it for a couple of things - one of the scenes for FlossGordon and with some minor mods an online interactive portfolio. The hotspot option is very cool and has lots of potential.

Yeah the floor map is pretty poor, I know. It wasn't going to be wood, but I needed something and the reflection looks nice.

i did the hotspots similar to the tutorial, but don't save the files out as .pct that has problems. I saved them out as .gifs and it worked great. The only problematical issue was figuring out how to link the pages with the hotspots. I found an example online and using that as a guide, got mine up and going if a few minutes.

i did the 6 images - but I might try the 24 (4 per side) and do a comparision. I also might make the images smaller so it loads faster - making it do the walkthrough faster.

I don't know if the .mac will work with a Cubic - I'll upload one and let you know.

D

5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I like it duke. You may want to find a more interesting and realistic texture then that flat gray. Other then that it looks good.

6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: nice

http://homepage.mac.com/dgvpg/iMovieTheater4.html

not a problem - pretty cool actually, but I don't know how well the hotspots would work - you could probably use them, but you'd need to hardcode the links in the CubicVR movie, which would be a pain, because you might not know what the link is until after you publish it....but you could put all the .movs up and then redo the MakeCubic using the links.

Let me know if you ever make any, I'd love to see them.

Once we get a WIP Forum up and running I'll move this thread over there and update it when I get some new stuff.

D

7. vitruvius macrumors regular

first Attempt

well ive decided to try the VR thing thx to u duke, well its fantastic how easy is to make one of this things once u got the 3D model, heres my 1st atempt to VR in my .Mac page, I hope u like:

http://homepage.mac.com/agell/iMovieTheater.html

i have some problems with the lens angle ( its too wide) do u know how to fix it?

8. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Hey D!

What kind of models can you import? If you can import from GDL I have a couple houses U could VR. If I VR'd them they'd be too big for the web..... I can only do domes, not cubes so I get better resolution but less streamability.:( :)

9. vitruvius macrumors regular

Re: Hey D!

u must generate 6 rendered images in any 3D software ( u need image files not the model files) in order to use the MakeCubic software, one per each side of the cube : front, right,back,left,top and bottom the App automaticly stiches it and generate the VR

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

damn that's cool duke! :D

I really do admire the work u put into these QTVR's...so damned cool man! ;)

11. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Hmmmmm........

So I could do some basic prespective shots....

Most of the VR work we do here is an external 360 fly around. This technique is aimed more at an internal walkthrough.

I could do a series walking through a structure. I should be setting the field of view to a 180 degree cone eh? that'll look quite odd when it's seperate images.

12. vitruvius macrumors regular

Re: Hmmmmm........

u must set the field of view to 90 degrees ( both horizontaly and vertically ) 90x4=360 since u got 4 faces per axis so u can generate a square view that matches each other borders.

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Is it possible to keep all your "rooms" in one file, or would that get too big?

The one we did for the lab, though not cubicvr, is self contained, so you don't have to load new pages each time:
    http://calnet.sdsu.edu/movies/larclab.mov

Looking good, though...just add some rollover text for feedback maybe...:)

14. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

15. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: CubicQTVR Navigation

Just out of curiosity, what kind of things do you plan to place in the gallery?

16. vitruvius macrumors regular

17. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: CubicQTVR Navigation

Ha, glad you all like it.

As for your question asurace, why my portfolio of course. All I can say is that this is a work in progress - I put the model together in a day and did the rendering - give me a little more time and I'll have a nice little walk through gallery of some of my pics - the whole thing with the hotspots linking to webpages holds huge potential -

you ain't seen nothing yet!

And I know the textures suck - I was pressured to get the thing to work - I'll get the art part next - besides, there is so much detail that's missing.

Nice stuff vitruvius - I might have to talk with you about doing a little side work with Lightwave when you get it.

D

18. vitruvius macrumors regular

another one!!

heres another cubic VR test,

http://homepage.mac.com/agell/skenateatro/iMovieTheater21.html

in this one i tested some radiosity (maybe too much :rolleyes: ) each cube face take about 30 min to render. hey Duke this thing has great potential to be converted in some sort of web interface, im planning the web site for my Theatrical Group and im going to try a sort of 3D interface based on this.

Enjoy it:D

19. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:CubicQTVR Navig

I look forward to seeing it when it is finished.

20. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

vitruvius - very cool, nice combination of simple objects - but I think its a little 'over exposed' you might want to reduce the light count or lower each light intensity value - you lose detail in the floor. But I like - I'll post another version of mine next week with the hotspots linking to more than what I've got now.

asurace - I've added a second floor, adjusted the floor texture - might go with marble on the outside and wood inside - added to the deck. I want to put it on an island with some trees and such. But for now I'll work on the building, its coming along nicely. And the next version will also have some more interactive stuff that will be very cool.

D