Cultural Relativism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Aug 16, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A useful view from the other side of the fence. This effectively gives the lie to many generalizations of the Right (and Left) in the present discussions.

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

BRAVO!!

If I could fit that in a sig, I would.

3. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I think this is the crux of the issue. A friend of mine from work is originally from Iran and we've had many discussions about the political climate there. Had I not known this guy, I probably would have a much more naive view of their politics.

Just yesterday, I was talking with my girlfriend about the state of Iran and she was pretty clueless about the amount of secularism in the general populace and about the various "liberal" movements within the population. That fact takes many by surprise.

I have heard a few pieces about Iranian issues on NPR, but on the whole, the media pretty much ignores Iran (outside of the cries of "Iran is evil!" from the Whitehouse). It think that's part of the problem. If Tom Brokaw isn't talking about it, then it isn't important.

Taft​

4. Bobcat37 macrumors member

[emphasis added]

Honestly I am a bit surprised some of you have agreed with this so much (but I'm glad you do). The man is basically saying that "tolerance" is not the answer and "ethical cultural relativism" is bull.

I agree 100% :)

5. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

all things in moderation, bobcat.

cultural relativism is a phrase oft removed from it's practical application; which is only to consider the social, cultural, economic, and other influences unique to societies when evaluating, debating, or reporting on social phenomena.

i doubt there is a philosopher or sociologist alive who would debate the morality of an issue under a strict "cultural relativist" position.

in other words, as it pertains to the great example of foot binding in china, cultural relativism doesn't sway most moral arguments, but simply provides a background for understanding the circumstances that surrounded its existance. as to the issue of ritualistic tribal cannibalism in uncivilized parts of the world, one cannot effectively explore the phenomenon without a high degree of relativism.

the bolded quote in your post seems to be alluding to some kind of absolute cultural relativism position, which is oversimplified and self-nullifying. phillosophy, sociology, ethics, morality, these are all imprecise sciences with little or no room for absolutism.

6. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

You might be unpleasantly surprised...

7. Bobcat37 macrumors member

I was about to say the exact same thing, lol...