Culture Shock on Capitol Hill: House to Work 5 Days a Week

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 6, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

washpost

nice try, congressman kingston.

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

glad to read this. I couldn't help but giggle at Kingston.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm sure they will continue to take some weeks off -- after all, they do need time for their families, as well as pressing the flesh with their constituents back home. But this is very, very welcome news. It'll make a great first impression on the people that voted them into office. It's about time they put in a full week like everybody else.

I know they're hardly perfect, but I see little things that I'm starting to like about these incoming Democrats. This is one of 'em.

4. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

As a Republican who voted for Hoyer - I like this. Of course, it does cripple any thoughts I had about trying to knock him out in a couple of years.;)

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You mean they're gonna work like reg'lar folk? ;)

6. aquajet macrumors 68020

Did Kingston really say that? I can't believe a congressperson of the US would actually say something that idiotic. Well, yeah, I guess I could actually. :rolleyes:

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

But remember this is destroying families. Unlike a minimum wage that requires parents to work multiple jobs 7 days a week to make ends meet and barely seeing their children.

God forbid that the elected officials should have to put in some hours between Monday Evening and early Friday Afternoon. How will they survive without their 4 day weekends?

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm not holding my breath waiting for him to introduce a bill for a 103 day workyear for all americans.

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

How long they work is insignificant imo. How well they work and get things done is the issue. People being well prepared, read up and having done their homework when presentations are made usually make for less time wasted with rhetoric and political posturing.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It about time because they have spent more time on vacation then they have doing the peoples work. Im glad as can be the American people took away the power from the republicans. They have done such a horrible job and letting the president make up his own rules as he goes was a terrible mistake for this country. So it takes the democrats to bring back some work ethics. Shameful as can be, I cant tell you how very dissapointed I have been with the rep[ublicans I use to support. Not anymore, Ill be voting democrat for awhile,maybe even years. Good for the new leadership.

11. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

but will the budget bills not be finished because congress wasn't in session enough?

12. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

That's true. I'm just saying they need to work smarter is all. Smart and long is good.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Lets be honest,most of these guys are lawyers meaning they have never worked a day in their lives.

15. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

As long as they don't spend all that extra time passing ****** laws like they did last year.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This year there is a new guy or rather girl in town, Democrats. The party is over for the scumbag republican party thats been tearing down this country for the Corporations.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

good news. and Kingston's response is pathetic. its a job, if you don't want to put the hours in i'm sure we can find someone to replace you so you can be a stay-at-home daddy, hows that? he had to know going into the job that he would be away from his family, they had to know that as well. can't have your cake and eat it too.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's the problem with Republicans...that entitlement mentality. ;) :D

19. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I just sent Jack an e-mail:

I used a few of your examples, Macrumors Peeps.

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats not too bad. hopefully you'll get a reply and post it here too. :D

21. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

To be fair, though, aren't congressmen supposed to spend time in their home state with their constituents? Isn't that the whole idea of a congress that's not year-round?

That said, with e-mail, airplanes, telephones, etc., I don't think they have much of anything to complain about. And the idea that this shows that Democrats don't care about families is complete hackery.

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i agree that they do need to spend time in their home states, and i don't expect them to have to work every week. but i think a longer week will help them get more accomplished, and if they were to take one week a month or whatever off i think that would work well even. its all about creating an acceptable balance.

you do bring up a good point though. they are technically 'in-touch' with their home states even in washington thanks to the vast information age that we are in now. i could see 20 years ago a sense of disconnection happening if they were in Washington too long, but things change.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its not like these people(republicans) have been doing the peoples work or even meeting them, they have fund raisers,fund raisers and more fund raisers. Draft dodging Delay and even the Newt got this ball rolling where the only thing important was bringing in the cash for you and the republicans next campaign. Congress has become nothing more then a group chasing the Corporations $$$. Congress has a job to do and they havent done it in about 12 years. Its why the people booted these dirtballs out.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I knew I liked that Hoyers guy. Sorry Murtha. And yeah, boo on Kingston. You know, some of us actually have to work for a living instead of soaking up tax payer money for nothing. I can't believe he'd say something so stupid, but then, I actually can. And the same people working way too much just to feed their families are the same people who will agree with him. Even after the Dems raise their wages and even if they get them healthcare they don't have but desperately need.

Damn Dems and their work ethics. :rolleyes:

25. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Senator Chuck Schumer has an office in Melville, Long Island next door to my lawyer. The first time I went there, there were 9 NY Times piled up outside the door. When I asked my lawyer about it, he said he'd been there since Schumer rented the space and has never seen him. The papers usually get to more than a dozen before someone either throws them out or a staffer shows up at that office.