General Cupertino, you started your photocopiers

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by theheadguy, Jun 13, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Former Palm CEO to Apple on iOS 7: Cupertino, you started your photocopiers

[​IMG]

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/12/f...os-7-cupertino-you-started-your-photocopiers/

2. macrumors regular

That awkward moment when Apple takes what others have done, and perfects it.

Not the first time it's happened in their history.

3. macrumors G4

Night Spring

At the moment, it's not quite perfect. I find that the app icons and the app windows don't quite slide in sync.

4. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I think it is a much better strategy than starting a patent lawsuit... :D

5. macrumors 6502a

I mean yeah they did it to the phone ;)

6. macrumors 603

7. macrumors G3

8. macrumors 68000

virginblue4

That awkward moment when you realise the ONLY thing similar in that photo is the 'rectangles' in the middle of the screen that you can slide between.

So true!

I don't think they are meant to. Same as the Yahoo Weather app, different parts slide at different speeds.

9. macrumors G4

Night Spring

What benefit do we get from the elements sliding at different speeds? :confused:

10. macrumors P6

Peace

11. macrumors 65816

So, Apple took the "sliding rectangle multi-tasking" thing and made it better, and Palm took basically the entire UI design of iOS and added a handful of different features (unless there was a Palm UI that looked like iOS prior to iOS that I don't know about). Seems like a fair trade.

12. macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'm not really sure, I think it looks quite cool personally. I really love it when i first saw it in the Yahoo app.

It's quite clever, they slide at different speeds but they the icon lines up with the corresponding app when it is in the middle of the screen.

13. macrumors G4

Night Spring

I didn't think it was cool at all, just got confused which icon belonged with which app. :(

14. macrumors 68030

Patriot24

You'll notice that Rubinstein isn't really complaining, rather pointing out the good work that he's done over the years that has been adapted into current platforms. He isn't suing anyone either, which tells you a lot about him as an innovator this day in age.

Bottom line, he is a class guy. I hope that he's able to resurface somewhere again.

15. macrumors regular

The thing I found with the multitask feature, and I kinda like it. If you slide with the screenshots it is fairly slow, but if you slid with the icons it slide much faster. That has come in handy when I have several things open and I know what I want to go to is towards the end of the list. Sliding with the icons gets me there quicker. Also the way the icons seem to trail or drag a little behind when you are sliding with the screenshots, look at the messaging app. Its consistent with that the way the bubbles spread out and get closer as you slide up and down on the chat window.

16. macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Look at the attached screenshots. In the first screenshot, you can see that the Passbook icon is lined up with the Passbook app but the Weather icon is not lined up perfectly with the Weather app. As I scroll, the Weather icon is now lined up with the Weather app.

It's a very nice feature in my opinion. It also means the two app icons either side of the one in the centre don't have their icons cut in half.

Attached Files:

17. macrumors G3

I'm assuming you can get to the side apps by pressing on their icons. If so its a shorter reach with a larger target than if half the icon were missing.

18. macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Correct. You can indeed do this.

19. macrumors regular

This set up does allow you to clear three apps at once too.

20. macrumors P6

The only thing is that icons, at least in part, go beyond the edges of their corresponding app cards right now, so sometimes an icon from a card on the left will almost be under the center card as well, making it at least somewhat misaligned and at least a bit confusing. There's hopefully some more work that will be done there to make the alignment logic better in future betas (and final release).

21. macrumors G4

Night Spring

Well, I guess they have it optimized a lot better for the iPhone 5. Attached is a picture showing how it looks on my iPhone 4S. In addition to the three icons showing in full, there are edges of two more icons showing, and the Dropbox icon and the phone icon are hanging halfway under the iBooks window.

Attached Files:

22. macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Fair enough, I just confirmed this on my girlfriends iPhone 4S. I was basing it on my experience on the iPhone 5.

I understand how it can get a little confusing, however, it looks great on the iPhone 5, so hopefully they fix it on the iPhone 4/4S.