Curious 2G iPod/iTunes Bug

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iiinsm, Aug 20, 2005.

1. iiinsm macrumors newbie

Device details:
    -10gb 2G touchwheel iPod with newest software (1.5 I believe); autosync disabled, using manual update
    -Rev C 15" PB 1.5 ghz, 1 gb ram, newest software

Earlier today, the first time since installing the lastest security updates, I hooked up my iPod in order to update its library for an upcoming road trip. As I was browsing my local library in iTunes, everything began to hang terribly, so I clumsily opened Activity Monitor to take a look at my active processes. The culprit process was clearly one named mdsync. It was using around 500 mb of real memory and steadily seizing more every few seconds. Killing the process from the terminal fixed the hang, but broke hard drive to ipod transfers in iTunes (for all I know killing mdsync does more). More specifically, when attempting to drag and drop a selection after having killed this process, the iPod listing in the Source sidebar no longer highlights on mouseover and no transfer occurs. Deleting songs from the iPod still appears to work after mdsync is killed. I've been able to reproduce the problem several times. Anyone with a similar setup, please try to reproduce it as well. And of course, if anyone has any idea how to fix this, please let me know.

(Added later for clarification)
    Transfers to the iPod work for the few seconds before mdsync hogs around 800 mb of memory and everything becomes impossible to control. Trying to unmout the iPod in the standard ways, even after iTunes is closed, produces the "unable to unmount, being used by another application" error until mdsync is killed. Everything worked perfectly the last time I tried to update the iPod's library, which happened to be several weeks ago before the most recent security updates.

Um, I see I've posted this in the wrong area... I saw Mac Apps before iPod/iTunes. Sosumi. Feel free to move it.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

mdsync is Spotlight stuff. While it's plugged in, try adding your iPod to the privacy panel in the Spotlight prefs.

3. iiinsm thread starter macrumors newbie