Curious About Bittorrent Performance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Makosuke, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've been getting into Bittorrent as a worthwhile means of egalitarian file distribution lately (and no, with Bittorrent, it's not all about illegal sharing--see http://www.redvsblue.com/ for an example). However, I'm not entirely sure it's working as well as it should for me.

First of all, are there any decent clients other than the standard one (from http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/)? I like that on account of its simplicity, but it freezes occasionally, doesn't provide a lot of control and handles non-latin filenames very badly. Azureus, a Java client, has controlls out the wazoo but is very hard to get working and seems even slower. I also tried eetee, but I couldn't even get that to work, and MLMac doesn't seem to support Bittorrent at all, though MLDonkey theoretically does.

I'm also having two issues:

1) Slow Speed. Occasionally, I'll get a torrent that will run at ~20K/s down and maybe 15K/s up, but most of the time I get wildly fluctuating nubers under 5K/s. I'm on a 3Mbit cable with fairly high-speed upload, these are torrents with two or three dozen peers, and I can see other people on the same download (using Azureus) that are getting speeds literally hundreds of times higher, so something seems to be wrong.

I do have a set of ports in the 6881+ range open (if I don't do that, it works REALLY slowly), and I also tried turning OSX's firewall off entirely (no router), so I'm a bit stumped.

Is there something I'm missing here? Should I be doing anything else, or is that just the state of affairs on the Mac?

2) I ran into some nasty problems with a file that had Japanese encoded characters in the name of an enclosing folder. I eventually got Azureus to start a very slow download of it, but the standard client wouldn't let me rename the output file, and refused to create the directory. Anybody know any ways around this?

Maybe I'm the only Mac user on earth who messes with Bittorrent, but hopefully there are some more knowledgeable people here...

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Might want to look here

You opened ports that is good... it really matters how many people are seeing and what connection they have...

3. slowtreme macrumors 6502

Frankly I think Bittorrent stinks, PC or MAC. I hardly ever get good speeds, and generally have uploads up 2-3x my download amounts before a file is finished.

I could be the one to blame as I do have a high speed upload, and therefore could be the best source most of the time. but bittorrent should regulate and allow me to swarm more sources.

As it is, by the time I do get a complete file, I have uploaded WAY more that my share. I feel like it's time to close that seed, even though I've technically been a leech the whole time and not a seed.

The file and the popularity of it always seems to determine speed, not the Client.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah bittorrent is weird alot sometimes. sometiems i get 100k+ speeds and my downloads finish quick, other times all i am doing is uploading. the problem is if most of your bandwidth is going to your upload, your download speeds going to be severed down bad, and that happens to me alot. there was a program that sparkleytone showed me that was a different bittorrent client which worked very nicely. it was very customizable and you opt to not upload (you can do it in the official client on mac as well, but never seems to work). but when i upgraded to the panther beta the program stopped working. maybe he will catch this thread and remember where it is.

iJon

5. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Go here to find stuff. Of course I am talking about getting legal freeware and such. I wouldn't dream about endorsing pirated software. No, No.

http://mac.torrentskickass.com/

These torrents are usually really fast.

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I think this crossed the Macrumors line by posting actual files.

7. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

you can look into Azureus as a BT client. its java based and can handle multiple torrents in the same window, and can limit upload and downloads correctly.

in my opinion, BT is the fastest and most reliable form of sharing/swarming. also, sharing 2-3 times your download is normal ... most torrent people go off share ratio and not how long you are sharing the file.