Curious about emulators.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Gohan, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Gohan macrumors member

Jan 3, 2004
    OK I’m about to ditch PC’s once and for all now I’ve completed HL2 :D
    Now I can live without games for the most part as I have a good selection of consoles. The only thing I can’t live without is emulators. I have around 27gig of emulators (all legally owned of course) for the following platforms

All Sega including arcade
    All Nintendo
    PSX, Neo-Geo, Atari Jag, Capcom system 2 etc.

I have managed to find ports for Mac OS for most of these systems but I’d like a little user feedback on how well these things genially run on the MAC. I’ll be getting a 20” iMac as soon as there undated btw.
  2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Should run fine on a 20" iMac G5.

Heck, I can run anything up to Super Nintendo on my old 500 MHz G3 PowerBook. And N64 emulators run on my 1 GHz G4 PowerBook.

The iMac G5 should be able to run anything up to the Playstation and N64 generation.
  3. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    First off yeah sure you own 27 Gig of ROMs legally! :rolleyes: Well maybe you do, but I find it hard to believe that's a LOT of cartridges and mainboards you must have lying around.

Secondly you'll have no problems I've used MacMAME for normal arcade ROMs, Neo Geo ROMs, and CPS2 ROMs on systems as slow as a 1 GHz G4. I haven't tried the console emus you mention but I can't see them being a problem for a G5.
  4. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    27GB of legal ROMS? LOL. either those are all public domain games, or you must have a few closets full of cartridges :p

anyway, I have had plenty of success playing the SNES, N64, MAME, and GBA. is a great place to start for Mac Emulators
  5. Gohan thread starter macrumors member

Jan 3, 2004
    21gig worth is PSX games which I own another 1.7gig is N64 games, which again I own and I do have a few hundred carts for the 16 & 8bit consoles (bit of a colector). And for the sake of not getting this thread locked we will say that the rest are home grown freeware.

Anyway thanks for the input. I wasn’t so much concerned about speed more that the ports had a good degree of compatibility.
  6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Makes sense, each PSX game is 700 MB correct? 21 gigs means you have about 30 games.
  7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    There aren't that many Mac-specific emulators; they're mostly the same programs as on the PC. So compatibility is the same.

8. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    #8 is a much better source. It's actually up to date.

Besides N64 and PSX, everything is pretty good on the Mac performance and compatibility-wise. SixtyForce and Mupen are the best and pretty much the only two N64 emulators available on the Mac. Mupen might get updated sometime, but we'll never know. SixtyForce's updates come very slowly, too.

For the PSX, just use PCSX. There's still some tweaking to do, but I hear it's alright.

Considering most emulator fanatics don't actually have the latest computer, the iMac G5 should be plenty of power, and for the ROMs that work, there shouldn't be any slowdowns.
  9. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    Hey, I would like to get these emulators and games for my PB. Gohan, where did you get them? Anyone else have them for their macs?
  10. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Those emulators could be awesome for me... I am a bit of a collector as well, and I have alots of games. But they really don't take up that much space. The consoles themselves, however, do. I'm thinking of selling the consoles, and using emulators to play the games I do own when I get the urge for some classic gaming. (Non-classic games are covered just fine by the PS2 (PS1 and PS2) and the GameCube (soon will be Nintendo Revolution, which has backwards compatibility), and the Xenon (which was said to be backwards compatible with the XBox). It's the N64, and the SNES-Genesis and the NES generations I'm concerned with.
  11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I've got a bunch of emulators on my Mac. They all work pretty well, but the graphics smoothing effects don't run smoothly. Many of the more demanding effects jitter so horribly that the game I'm playing becomes unplayable.
  12. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Why not just go to the emulator's homepage and read the system requirements?

This topic really needs a sticky... if someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll write one tomorrow night. It must have come up 5 times in the past month.
  13. aftk2 macrumors regular

Nov 10, 2003
    Pacific NW
    How can this be, at least for the PSX? I remember when I bought my 400Mhz G4 new, in 1999, it ran Playstation games better than the Playstation itself. Granted, I was using Connectix's Virtual Gamestation, but would that really make that much of a difference?
  14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Yeah, Connectix's VG isn't made anymore. The other emulators are all freeware or open source, and therefore not as fully compatible.

Hopefully they'll work though.

In terms of emulation speed they'll all work great, it's just the compatability I don't know about.
  15. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I've spent the last few days playing Final Fantasy IX (NTSC) on Flarestorm 2. It works almost flawlessly (had some glitches with Gizamaluke's Silent Voice attack, and the Outer Continent doesn't render properly, but other than that it's fine).

On the other hand, the PAL version won't even boot :(

I also tried FF7 (also NTSC) and it ran perfectly until the motorbike chase scene, after which it crashed.
  16. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    anywhere, usa
    Since PCS-X won't do it yet, I play Resident Evil Director's Cut on CVGS running in Virtual PC 7 - an emulator within an emulator. Plays very smoothly on a G5 w/2GB ram.

PCS-X runs Gran Turismo great on its own in OS 10.3.8

The only games that Sixty-Force emulates perfectly for me are Waverace and Mario 64. Ridge Racer is great except for the sound. Quake and Doom 64 do not really work. Goldeneye works pretty well in Mupen. Wipeout 64 doesn't run in either.

Panzer Dragoon runs alright in the Saturn emulator.
  17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Zelda 64 worked fairly good.