curious questions about websites

Discussion in 'Community' started by howard, Feb 17, 2003.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i'm a little curious... i don't know to much about the web... how do you make money on a site like macrumors? is it the ads? who pays for those and how does all that work? i'm really curious about this. i've got a bunch of other questions too if anyway feels like answering them..things like, how much space does a site like macrumors take up...what kind of stuff do you need to run it...could you do it on 1 xserve? things like that, and also how much work goes into it, is a site like macrumors a full time job or a very large hobby? just curious.

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the ads help pay the bills, but rarely does macrumors break even on a given month... in other words, arn is losing money. he is paying so that we can have macrumors... which is why there are ways to contribute.

at least that was the status last i heard

i'm sure he will give you more specifics when he has a chance.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

last i was told, the site takes up around 400-500 megs, forums included. the size of a site depends on a lot of things-- a basic site may only take up a few megs, but a complex site with ecommerce and interactive content, bells and whistles can take up gigs, all said and done.

for a long time ads could support most sites, but lately less people than ever click on the ads (some web browsers even block them) and the ad companies are paying less, so companies are failing (Yahoo is having some problems with this right now).

an Xserve would be great for the site, but it's more than we need (i think)... this is hosted on a linux server, in a hosting faucility somewhere. Web servers are slightly different in terms of hardware (more RAM for keeping info loaded, more HD space, possibly RAIDs) altho in the past when Apple sold regular servers, it was simply their powermac with server software installed.

also, this site is arn's hobby tho he has a couple of moderators to help him out. Arn is a physician in real-life... so this probably eats up most of his free time, without hardly a thanks from us! so everyone thank Arn and buy a mug... :)

pnw

4. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

Arn's a physician...

Somehow, I just didn't think that was his real world job.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

you just convinced me to get a mug. Arn and I thank you. ;)

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hey...

MacRumors itself is run on a dedicated server with 2 80gig drives and 2gigs of RAM.

MacRumors wasn't started to make money... it's basically a big hobby site. In the first couple of years, the site was a money-loser... in that more money was spent than it brought in... but it was within reason.

As the site grew, the cost of the site far exceeded the money made... at that point, decisions were made, and ad networks were changed. Occassional pop-up's were allowed, as well as the dedicated internet provider was changed.

From that time, MacRumors does bring in some more money than is being spent on hosting... of course, if you take into account the time involved maintaining it... the positive balance is negligible.

arn

7. charboneau macrumors member

Oh, so his doctoring and his "healing" are more important to him than this site. :mad:

Sounds like someone needs to get his priorities in order.

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

haha. stellar