Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Is there any rumor afoot regarding the use of the 1.25 GHz G4 in powerbooks? Or any reasons why its not going to happen(e.g., too hot [I have no idea how hot it runs], etc.)? It seems like the extra cache size, if not the extra 250 MHz, would really help make the PB even more of a desktop replacement. Are the rumors that we're high centered with the current processor until the 1.2 GHz 970 comes along? Does Apple feel like they've addressed the notebook folks for awhile?

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
dual processor G4 PB next?

When is the dual processor powerbook will be available? :) that is a must buy! :)

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Re: dual processor G4 PB next?

Originally posted by kaneda
When is the dual processor powerbook will be available? :) that is a must buy! :)

Is there such a beast rumored? It seems like it would cut batt. life in half and make the alum. skin glow red if you could stuff it in there.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Look to the 7447/7457 to be the one that is sought after for G4 Portables.

The HiP7 (.13) process should run cooler, use less power, and operate at higher speeds.

Rumors are the sampled units drastically cut heat.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
thread re: dual machine

I have seen a few references to a dual processor machine on this site - is there a thread with more information that someone could point me to? Many thaks.

I'm assuming the 970 in laptops at 1.2 GHz as the Feb. 2003 issue of MacAddict notes on page 12 that that chip will use only 19w (compared to the 970 at 1.8 GHz with 42 watts and the 7455 at 30W).

But back to my original question, iJon - your parents own an apple re-seller right? Any hint of a higher clockspeed G4 PB from the sales reps?

Of course, this all comes down to plotting a good time to buy.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.