Current Air Travel Restrictions: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DMPDX, Aug 11, 2006.

1. DMPDX macrumors 6502

Due to recent events, flying in and around the USA there are new restrictions to what we can carry on planes. This current scare is preventing shampoo, lipstick, deodorant, cologne, perfume and almost any other thing that you can clasify as a paste, liquid or fluid. Personally I think that this is just another thing to make traveling safer, but also it is making it way harder. Around the country, major airports are seeing up to 4 hour delays. This is only expected as you are screened at the regular security checkpoint, then right before you get on the plane to confiscate anything that you may have bought. What are everybodies thouoghts on this? How do all of you feel about this and the current events? Especially the members from the UK where the casuing incident occured. I am just realizing this as I travel quite frequently and this will unfortunately affect me quite a bit. Thanks for reading my rant, post what you feel.
    -dsm

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Hopefully your urine can't be confiscated or turned into a bomb. Or your blood, or your stomach acid.

So many parts of the body can be turned into a bomb its ridiculous.

Blood tests, catheters and colonoscopys for everyone flying, and a special for anyone in america. The tests get billed to your insurance company, where they reject it and make you pay.

3. Lau Guest

Hi, DMPDX. There's already discussion about this in this thread, so you might like to check it out.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm gonna fart on an airplane and light a match. No matches? What if I rub 2 sticks together and cause a spark?

5. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Why don't we stop people traveling on planes? Think about it, all the problems result from PEOPLE. If we stop anyone getting on the planes surely these problems will end?
    But seriously...it's ridiculous! To what extent should we inhibit these methods of travel, computer systems, security systems and so on to make them safe? There are inherent risks involved in anything - terrorism will always be around, how much of our lives (and our freedom) do we throw to the wind to make ourselves safe?

6. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I'm going on holiday tomorrow. The precautions are ludicrous. You cant take an iPod, mobile phone or even a book onboard!!

7. Timepass macrumors 65816

At some point the people will say enough is enough. There needs to be a line drawn that we will not cross.

I think all these new resteriction is pushing the public to its limits. The others where not so bad and seem ok. You could fly with only using carry ons. but now you can not go on a 2 day trip with out checking some stuff at airport. This is just getting to the point enough is enough. no liquads on planes. Then the airlines need to give us more to drink that those 5 oz cups. And more food to take on the plane. Something has to give and they are reaching the end of the ropes. the other restriction never bother me that much but the lastest of no liquids does. I wouldnt be surpise to see them ban all carrier ons at some point now and there is a lot of stuff I DONT want to put under a plane. I rather keep it with me (laptop being one of them) and stuff to read or listen to on the plane. Also objects like cell phones are nice to have when flying.

Just where do you draw the line and say enough is enough.

8. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I read you can't bring books on a flight.... What can you do with a book? Paper cut?

How insance, I know its for securty, and thank god they caught this before it happend, however I don't see how a book can harm anyone.

9. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

My brother was pretty upset about this. He is on a 17 hour flight today to Taiwan and wanted to take a water bottle, but then he found out that he couldn't.

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I work at the airport, and this new rule has already become a huge pain in the rear. I am no longer allowed to bring a sealed can of coke to work with me, nor am I allowed to bring sunscreen in, which I consider a necessity since I work outside full time. I hope these rules at least get straightened out a little better in the near future.

11. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I just said it a couple of posts back aswell :) . To confirm, you can take it onboard as long as it is bought in the terminal after you go through security. A book could contain powder or chemicals that are absorbed into the pages, and you can cut out the pages to hide things inside. Think shawshank redemption.

12. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Have these airports never heard of bomb detectors? The have a few of them at the Miami airport but only about 1% of the people going through security checks actually walk threw them. So instead of pissing people off about what they can't take of flights, install bomb detectors. If the airports don't have the money they should ask for the money from the government, after all they are the ones engaged in a "war" on terror.

13. harveypooka macrumors 65816

My word. As Mulder said in NISEI/731 "It's a plague carrier!". Lets remove people from planes and be done with it. Then you can transport iPod's, bombs, chemicals - anything - because it dosen't matter!

14. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Here's why the rules are absolute BS
    1)The terrorist were planning to mix chemicals on the plane
    2)Security is having people dump beverages into terminal garbage cans

Sounds a lot like "mixing" to me. Don't you all feel safer knowing security is helping people mix their bombs up in the terminal? This is nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction that will hopefully subside within a few weeks.

I was planning on flying next month, now I'm not so sure just because of the pain in the but it'll be.

15. iGary Guest

iGary

I said it in the other thread, but the days of carry on are nearing an end.

I'm just trying to think up some way to make money off of it somehow. :)

16. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Can you sail to America the old fashion way?

I woulld imagine thats its an almost infinite amount less of stress and just a nicer way of getting there.

Big liners today must be quicker than the Cruise Liners of the 20's.

17. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I'm surprised that you guys even kbow about it. I was speaking to a few mates in the USa about 2 weeks after the Asian Tsunami and they had no idea of what was going on because the US news did not report on anything outside of the country. Although this isa related to the US as that was the destination of the planes, i'm surprised that you all know so much.

18. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I don't know where your friends were getting their news, because it certainly was being reported here, big time.

19. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

20. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

No, I mean, where are they getting their news? If they or no one around them watches TV, reads the newspaper, goes online, etc. then they won't hear of these things. But if they had looked at any kind of American news, they would have known about it. I think these friends of yours would have been oblivious no matter where they were, unless the news was happening to them.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In fairness to the people who make these rules, if ten airliners had blown up over the Atlantic, I think the question we'd all be asking is, "how could they have let it happen?" not, "why can't I carry my own bottle of water on board?"

The problem I have with the rules is the often arbitrary way they are enforced by the people doing the inspecting. We had a tiny pair of cuticle scissors confiscated even as I watched an inspector pull the very same thing out of a carry-on bag and then put it right back in. I was kind of steamed, but what can you do?

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    That surprises me given that the US people donated more money per capita than most other countries' populations managed. That's a very condescending remark - just because a few of your mates didn't know tarring a nation with ignorance. I'll bet there were teenagers in the UK who had no idea what happened in New Orleans last year.

As for the restrictions, I think they'll have to become slightly more relaxed than currently. I can accept no unsealed containers of liquid - or only if contained in clear containers - but I can't recall the last time I got on a flight without a bottle of water - the airlines just don't give out enough for you to hydrate yourself. And they're going to have to let phones back too - how on earth are you supposed to sort out lost luggage if your phone and all your details are in it.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The problem with this reasoning is that triacetone triperoxide, the likely composition of the planned bombs, is made from two, clear liquids.

The airlines are probably going to have to start offering bottled water to passengers.

24. 7on macrumors 601

7on

For $7 of course.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not sure if you're being serious or not, but I doubt it. I've never paid for a soft drink or water on an airliner, and I think this would be a pretty terrible time for them to start charging.