current G4 ibooks/powerbooks: strengths/weaknesses

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by unregbaron, Jun 8, 2004.

1. unregbaron macrumors regular

I need to upgrade from my elderly G3 400Mhz in the next month, I use:

Dreamweaver MX, Photoshop, Illustrator as well as the usual Office programmes heavily every day - I co-run a new online business and it's my only machine. I need to have applications open at the same time and yup the Pismo can't take much more.

I am a laptop person though I know a desktop has performance benefits. (should i re-think this?)

Should I ....

• Buy a 14" ibook and be happy for saving the money and use it while awaiting G5 pb - besides it will be a big speed jump anyway and will cope fine with what I want it to do.

• Buy a 15" powerbook - it would be worth the extra £$ to get a machine designed for pro users and machine will last that little bit longer.

Any thoughts gratefully received..

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I have a 15" powerbook, and I'm really glad. If you're going to spend $1500, why not spend $2000? They're both a lot of money, but the extra cost will be worth it...

Lee Tom

3. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I feel the 14" ibook is a bad choice since you still only get 1024x768 like the 12". unless the ibook is to play a lot of video/film the 14" screen is totally not needed.

4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I would go with the iBook since it is a huge upgrade from what you are using now. I love my 12" PB, however, were it to be my only computer, I might want one with a slightly larger screen, even if the resolution were the same. That extra two inches can really help the eyes when they are tired. I say save some money and go with the iBook. Then in a year or so, upgrade to a G5 (hopefully ;) ) powerbook. Just my 2 cents.

5. tamara6 macrumors regular

The 14 inch iBook is a lot like the Pismo that you have, only with a (much) faster processor. The screen size and resolution are the same.

I think you'll end up making your decision based on screen size. If you are happy with the size of your Pismo's screen, then yes, get the iBook and then a G5 powerbook in a year or 18 months or so.

But if you feel like the screen of your Pismo is cramped, if you find yourself wishing you had just a little more room on the sides, then I think you'll love the 15 inch powerbook.

I just made the jump from a Pismo to a 15 inch powerbook, and that extra screen space has been wonderful. I feel like it has increased my productivity a lot - just not having to click to uncover some hidden window all the time. It is great.

I was hoping to make my Pismo last until the G5 powerbooks came out, but it just didn't work that way. I know I will be jealous when the G5s do finally come out, but between now and then I know I am getting a lot more work done (and having a lot easier time doing it).

6. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I just don't understand paying more for a screen that still only gives you the same res as the lower model. all it would do is make things bigger looking (or as some say "retard mode"). I can't speak for you guys but low res on larger screens sucks. thats why I love crt much more. you can push the res so far. my 19" does 2048x1536. once you get used to finding your way around with everything so small it becomes a great thing. 2048x1536 is equal to 4 screens running 1024x768. now thats real estate!

7. tamara6 macrumors regular

My husband has an older G3 iBook with a 12 inch screen. His screen has the same resolution as my Pismo (1024x768). While it does look somewhat sharper, there have been times when he's looked at my screen and made comments like "it sure is nice to see things on this big screen." He claims that to do work for hours at a time on the smaller screen can be tiring on the eyes. I have had no trouble getting use to the slightly better resolution on the 15 inch powerbook that I now have, but I can see why some people may prefer the lower resoultion. I guess it is just a matter of personal comfort and preference.