Current G5s vs Tiger

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macaddictann, Jan 12, 2005.

1. macaddictann macrumors member

Sep 23, 2004
    This is going to seem like a totally stupid question, and I apologize in advance.

I want a G5. I don't need a G5, lord no. Heck, I doubt I even need the power of a Mini. But I freaking want one (I'm thinking 2 GHz).

Tiger's coming...March? April? June? I keep seeing different months. But it doesn't matter exactly for this purpose.

Let's say it's out in March. I assume all new G5s will ship with it after it's out. My stupid question is this: what happens to the G5s already in stock? Do those go on sale then? Or do they try to clear the stock before Tiger by dropping prices?

I don't need Tiger myself (I'm still on Jaguar at home as it is), and I don't want to be an early adopter and get a G5 with 10.4.1 or what-have-you, either. I can always upgrade later. I'm just curious about how Tiger's release will affect the price of existing G5s, basically, and when I might be able to expect a drop (assuming there is one).

2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Tiger's release probably won't have any effect on the price of the Power Mac G5. The only change would be when they release the next Rev. of the Power Mac. They usually lower the price of the old model to clear out the stock.

If you want a lower price on a Power Mac G5 with Panther, you might consider a refurbished model. They have the full one year warranty and APpleCare is also available.
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    There won't be a price drop - you'll just have the option to get Tiger for $20 on disk media if you buy after it's announced.

When Panther was released, that day only, Macs were 10% off. That might happen again - who knows?
  4. macaddictann thread starter macrumors member

Sep 23, 2004
    N'kay. Thanks.

I qualify for an education discount, and I think generally, the refurbs are the same as the education price. At least last time I checked.

I stand corrected. There's a refurb 2.0 GHz at the moment for $200 less than the education price.
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    So have you thought about purchasing a new Mac?

If Steve does the same with the Tiger release as he did with Panther, it should be a great release party. Those that purchased Panther that evening could purchase CPU, software, and some hardware at 10% off.
  6. macaddictann thread starter macrumors member

Sep 23, 2004
    Yeah, I was just debating over cost and stuff. I'd prefer new--we all would. But in the end, price wins (as long as the product's equivalent).

So you pretty much have to buy the day before or something? Is there a timeframe? I don't know that I want to mess around with scheduling.

The real issue here is whether I can justify such a purchase to God and man, and I frankly can't. I want a G5 the way some people want a Ferrari--it's way more than one could ever use or need, but, well, damn.

I'm also more comfortable with separate hardware, not all-in-ones. I think it's more flexible down the line. And for some reason, slot-loading drives make me nervous. And towers are easier to upgrade. Of course, I could get away with a mirrorfront, couldn't I? Ahem. And they'll sell cheaper now that the Mini's out.