Current Mac Games Lineup for 2005/2006?

Discussion in 'Games' started by RobHague, Jul 17, 2005.

1. RobHague macrumors 6502

Does anyone have some info/links/sites or whatever on any games coming to the mac in 2005/06?

I have heard that Fable is, and SW Battlefront 1 and also UT2006 i believe is getting a mac version.

That all? Im talking proper games btw not tetris clones and other such things :p its just hard to find a site with any info - its all PC usually.

2. hob macrumors 68020

hob

The best published of Mac games is Aspyr. I normally just check aspyr.com to see what's coming out! I'd also be interested in finding a decent site - the only one I regularly use is MacGameFiles, for demos/patches...

Hob

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Normally, games come out for PC first and porting companies don't announce what they're working on. We have to let them surprise us.

BTW, what good games are coming to the PC (announced) in 2005/2006?

4. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    Neverwinter Nights 2

There's plenty more, but that's the two I'm looking forward to. (Might be more, but I don't remember at the moment).

I do wonder if NWN2 will get a Mac port. Doesn't look good atm. (especially with the rewrite of the engine to use DX instead of OGL).

Edit: Another one is City of Villains. Looks cool so far. And Hellgate: London, but I'm not sure about the release date for that one.

5. msbsound macrumors regular

mac game site

I usually check out insidemacgames.com for info. They also have links to most publishers on their front page.

6. vsp macrumors regular

7. applekid macrumors 68020

As far as NWN2 for the Mac is concerned, I think it can very well be ported. The DX to OpenGL conversion of games never gets in the way of anything. It's more a problem of middleware these days and sometimes the original developer and publisher's feelings (even that's rare lately). Assuming there's no middleware that would prevent a port and a sense of satisfaction on how popular the original NWN was on the Mac, a sequel doesn't seem farfetched.

Anyways, stay up to date with Mac game release dates by checking out InsideMacGames.com. I like to use GameSpot for the other systems.

Don't forget, there's still plenty of unannounced Mac ports. So, it's a good idea to check out Inside Mac Games or MacGamer about once a week or two (though, I check daily :p).

8. hob macrumors 68020

hob

The only two games I'm interested in playing on my mac are Half-Life 2 (never gonna happen) and Battlefield 2 - Battlefield 1942 was ported to mac by aspyr, so I'm hoping the same will happen with the sequel...

9. rareflares macrumors regular

10. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

It better, or there's not much point in having the editing tools (UnrealEd 3) running on Mac! :)

See:
    http://beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=6277

(And the name's not final last I heard, but they're calling it UT 2007 for now. Although I hope for a 2006 release even so.)

11. RobHague thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the only game i will miss thats on the PC (Half-Life 2) but ive not really played it since i completed it. I mainly just play Counter-Strike Source and such but... shame.

Hopefully (not sure how) the Intel switch will bring out developers if they think the mac is going to become viable for a wider audience. There is something about the X86 and PPC thing that i thought about actually. For as long as teh PPC is alive in the community software companys will have to make the software compatible. I dont think that when the intel switch happens games will be Intel only.

Because basically they cant say "Mac Compatible" because it wont be. Last thing consumers need are two versions of mac and its software to worry about. Plus upgraders will want to use their software/games on the new systems.... while thats good i think it might turn off some developers too. Oh wells we shall see.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Ahem, it's UT2007 though it will be released in the end of 2006 for PC. Not sure about release date of the Mac version.

13. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I agree that the move to intel will help with the Mac gaming - but because developers won't have to change everything over to PPC architecture.

Making it compatible for PPC AND Intel processors... that just brings you back to square one.