Current MB good enough for Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tonfisk, Dec 14, 2006.

1. tonfisk macrumors member

Aug 29, 2005
    I am thinking of buying a 2.0GHz Macbook in January. Knowing that the new machine may not come out till then and the new operating system may soon be released after that time, I am worrying about if the machine would work fine with Leopard...I guess the trouble might be with the graphic card, most probably? Anyone could give his suggestions? Many thanks!
  2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    You wont have any problems at all. Apple would not sell a computer knowing it wouldnt work within 6 months because they updated the software. Crazy thinking. Dont worry.

I have the original MacBook and a PMG5 and Im not worried one bit. I cant freakin wait to be honest! :D

EDIT: The only thing you might want to consider is if you buy the MB before leopard comes out you will have to stump up $120 for Leopard when it is released. Where as if you wait a month or two it will come preinstalled on any new Mac.
  3. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Leopard will scream on your MacBook, it's not like Vista requiring high specs to run. It'll run just fine on my 2 year old iBook and I'd venture a guess that it will run just fine on any G4 machine providing you have enough RAM. So you could be running Leopard on five year old machines perfectly well.

Of course with the older Macs you won't get the super eye candy as you would with a full core image compliant graphics processor like the MacBook has.

Man, Leopard will fly on the Intel Macs.
  4. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2005
    You could buy the lowest end Mac Mini refurb and it would do just fine. Don't worry, be happy!
  5. macNEWBIEswitch macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2006
    You still wonder if the new MB will have something unique and ideal to work with the Leopard.

Re: $120 - The Apple Store mgr. (Mayfair Mall, WI) told me that if I bought a MBP now, the Leopard OS will only cost me (I think he said) $69.95.
  6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Really? If s/he's right, then that would seem to mean that the release is coming very soon.
  7. tonfisk thread starter macrumors member

Aug 29, 2005
    Thank you people. I feel now comfortable fixing my purchase date mid January. Will join the family soon! Cheers!