Current MBA Owners - will you automatically upgrade to a new MBA in January? If not..

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jobsian, Dec 28, 2009.

  1. macrumors 6502a

    Jobsian

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2009
    #1
    All current MBA owners...Ayeying, MacMod, Scottsd, etc:

    1) What Rev do you currently have?
    2) Will you automatically upgrade the MBA if we see a new one in January?
    3) If not automatic, what is the minimum spec increase that will make you likely upgrade?

    Jan 26 is getting closer and closer!
     
  2. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #2
    1) Macbook Air 2,1
    2) No.
    3) 2.8Ghz, 8GB DDR3 ram, glass trackpad, etc.

    I was fairly happy with my Macbook Air after getting my Rev. B, but it was still a bit laggy compared to my other computers. A RunCore SSD upgrade really fixed the lag problems and was a lot cheaper than replacing my Macbook Air.

    I don't think I will be replacing my Macbook Air until they are more powerful than Late 2008 Macbook Pros.
     
  3. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2008
    Location:
    Denver
    #3
    1) I have a RevC 2.13/2/128
    2) I won't automaticly upgrade but I get a new Mac about once a year so we'll see what available near the end of 2010
    3) Faster CPU/GPU, more RAM, more SSD space, longer battery life, more ports etc are all attractive to some extent but as long as my current machine serves my needs and is relatively new, I won't be looking at a new one.
     
  4. Moderator emeritus

    SilentPanda

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2002
    Location:
    The Bamboo Forest
    #4
    I have a Rev A 1.6. I don't plan on upgrading my laptop any time soon so long as it can get on the internet. I don't do much else with it. I would get rid of it for a touch screen tablet most likely though... my Mac Pro is my primary machine though.
     
  5. macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #5
    I have:
    • v 2,1 MBA
    • 2.13 GHz
    • 128 GB Runcore SSD
    • OS X Snow Leopard

    If Apple releases an MBA with the following I will upgrade:
    • 4 GB RAM OR/I prefer Two RAM Slots for up to 8 GB (I will gladly pay $1000 extra for 8 GB RAM)
    • Penryn Core 2 Duo SL9x00 or Arrandale without IGP
    • Nvidia or ATI Graphics

    If the new MBA has only 2 GB RAM OR has only Intel integrated graphics, I will keep my current MBA. This would spell DISASTER for the MBA. This is what I fear most when I think about a real rev C MBA. What if Apple sticks with Intel's integrated graphics? It would be at least a 50% decline in graphics power from the 9400m. Nvidia is almost guaranteed not to be used UNLESS Apple sticks with the Penryn CPU. In fact, I don't even care about Arrandale at this point... I care far more for a nice GPU and 4 GB of RAM or more.

    Also, if Apple changes the form factor and the result is a ULV CPU, I will pass on the MBA. I don't want to go backwards and lose CPU power to reduce the thickness to compete with the Adamo and all of the other ultraportables that are much thinner than the MBA.

    I hope the new drive is 256 GB, but I think that I would swap over to the Runcore even if it's only half the size as I am used to the performance gains by it in my current MBA. Although a switch from LIF and Samsung over to an Intel drive would change my mind but I doubt Apple changes that.

    I think we will be blown away by some new technology used in the next MBA. I don't know what it will be, but I suspect something not currently in any other Mac notebook...

    Finally, I have to think that Apple has made its decision on how to move forward with the MBA. We don't know whether that means a new MBA in January or later in the year or an EOL of the once thinnest notebook in the world. I hate to think of trying to compete with the Dell Adamo XPS on thinness... I don't want that thin of an MBA nor one with the limited CPU power of a ULV CPU required in such an MBA. I don't think that Apple will make us wait until September/October of 2010 as others have suggested in the past three months, but I also don't think we're going to see a January update to the MBA. I am looking towards Spring for a rev C (v 3,1) MBA, with a new form factor, and something really amazing!

    Happy New Year everyone!
     
  6. macrumors 68020

    MacModMachine

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    1) i have a rev C 1.86 with a 64GB Runcore
    2) i will automatically upgrade...because its an addiction
    3) not so much a spec, i would greatly welcome a micro sata internal connector and drop the lif bs, micro sata is more common and should be used.

    i really want to see a decrease in heat and a larger ssd.

    the usb deal does not bother me, i run a mac mini as my main machine and love it, it runs a 80gb intel ssd and 500gb in the optical bay.

    i use the air for mobility as most, it works well.
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
  8. macrumors 65816

    GeekGirl*

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    Location:
    Buffalo, NY
  9. macrumors 65816

    MultiFinder17

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2008
    Location:
    Tampa, Florida
    #9
    1. Revision C 1.86GHz with a 120gig HDD.
    2. Nah
    3. 4gigs of RAM, SSD prices come down to sane levels, higher-resolution screen. 1440x900@13" would be amazingly nice.

    Really, I see myself being happy with my Air for many years to come. I usually upgrade my primary machines one every 3-4 years or so, sometimes longer. Seeing as how the Air is so new, I can't see myself upgrading away from it anytime soon, unless the way I use my laptop changes drastically in the future.

    Just as an example of my recent upgrades: I upgraded my main desktop back in March when the Nvidia minis came out from a G4/500DP, and upgraded to the Air a while back from a 12" PBG4/1.5, so I tend to fall behind the cutting edge a bit :) I generally upgrade whenever one of my primary machines (desktop or laptop) is unable to run the latest OS properly.
     
  10. macrumors 603

    appleguy123

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2009
    Location:
    15 minutes in the future
    #10
    Rev=revision
    The first revision was the original MacBook air. Rev B is the second update and C is the current one.
     
  11. macrumors 601

    Chaszmyr

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2002
    #11
    I have a Rev A MBA and I find the performance lacking (especially HDD performance, which I suppose I could replace without getting a new machine). As such, when they are updated I will definitely want a new one, but almost certainly won't buy one. This is simply because I hate using laptops, and generally use mine once a week or less.
     
  12. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    Location:
    Melbourne, AUS
    #12
    1. Rev.2,1 (rev.B)
    2. No, and rather unlikely
    3. Battery endurance improvement, faster and cooler graphics

    Knowing Fermi is once again delayed, simply plugging in some SFF i5 will not be enough
    RAM is unlikely to increase as seen on the other MacBook offerings (2GB base minimum start)

    Possibly (but wild guess):
    the iSlate/MagicSlate tactile trackpad on new MBA?
     
  13. macrumors 601

    ayeying

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Location:
    Yay Area, CA
    #13
    1) Unofficial High end Rev. C (2.13GHz)
    2) No
    3) It's not specs, I'm too poor right now cause another semester is coming up and I gotta save up for skool. Additionally, my next system will most likely be a MBP unless there's some killer specs (like a 3.0ghz cpu no underclock, 8gb ram, dual video cards.. yadada, unrealistic kind)
     
  14. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    #14
    confused

    I'm still new to the Apple world, got myself a MBA for Christmas. Can someone please explain:
    Does v2,1 now mean Rev.B or Rev.C?

    My MBA states "MacBookAir2,1", it runs on a 1.86GHz processor and comes with a 120GB HDD. What do I own, Rev.B or Rev.C?

    Thanks!
     
  15. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    #15
    1) I don't have an Air yet but I just sold my white MacBook... It's going to be a long wait until I buy the Air. I have to manage with my work laptop running XP until that.
    2) YES!! =)
    3) I'd like to have 4GB RAM, a little bigger SSD, glass trackpad and headphone jack (supporting audio input also) from the Pro... In addition to these I would be happy with just a little speed bump.

    =)juha
     
  16. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    Location:
    Melbourne, AUS
    #16
    Providing it's all stock configuration, the 1.86GHz + 120GB HDD is most likely to be a rev.C

    The MacBookAir2,1 naming system came from Apple's official recognition of its machines, found in System Profiler

    The rev.A/B/C naming system came from the Mac users community to distinguish their devices.
    It dates back to the early days when 2nd hand Apple products still command a premium and hence there was a real need to know the exact spec and dates of the machine. Not the case nowadays.

    When the 2.13GHz processor came out as a 'comparatively' minor refresh of the 2nd Gen MBAs, and didn't receive a new product identifying no., so it remains MacBookAir2,1 in System Profiler
    The Mac user communities refer it to rev.C anyways.
     
  17. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2009
    #17
    1) 1,1
    2) No
    3) New design if possible, even Dell or MSI couldn't do something and thin as the air. Except that, Apple will probably upgrade the CPU, memory, HDD..etc...
    But that's normal. Price won't fall down.
     
  18. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    #18
    Yes, all items are stock. Device was purchased thru Apple.
    So why is it then that mine (1.86GHz) is a Rev.C model, when the 2.13GHz is called Rev.C as well?

    :confused:

    Thanks.
     
  19. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    #19
    OK, so technically a MBPro user, not MBA but if the new one is good enough I would really like to change over to one.

    So:

    1. 2.53GHz MBPro Unibody.
    2. If the hardware is good enough,yes.
    3. 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD - would be fine with the same processor and graphics as they seem more than up to the job day to day.......

    Really hope they do the whole glass trackpad thing........
     
  20. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    Location:
    Melbourne, AUS
    #20
    the 1.86GHz was first released as the high-end MBA with SSD
    upon the rev.C refresh, Apple dropped the 1.6GHz processor and replaced it with the 1.86GHz. The 2.13GHz took the original place of 1.86GHz

    Given that you mentioned everything's stock and purchased from AAPL,
    MBA 1.86GHz + HDD is taken as MBA rev.C

    got it all figured out?;)
     
  21. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    #21
    Well, kind of. Thanks!
     
  22. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2008
    Location:
    Denver
    #22
    From the Apple menu, About this MAC, More Info you can find your Model Identifier: e.g. MacBookAir2,1

    RevA would be 1, rev B 2, and RevC2,1. Each rev had a basic version with slightly slower processor and HDD and a slightly faster processor and an SSD (although special orders could confuse that issue).

    RevB was a major upgrade going from a custom version of an older processor to a mainstream version of a newer higher density lower power processor, going to much more powerful graphics, going from a PATA to a SATA drive interface etc. Major rework of the internals, completely new motherboard.

    RevC was a much more minor upgrade - with the only readily apparent change being a processor speed bump. You got a newer generation of SSD and a different screen as well but no major redesign.

    Who knows what the RevD will bring and when.
     
  23. macrumors 68020

    kellen

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #23
    If there is 4 GB of ram, I will seriously consider it.

    If it is just a bump, with slightly increased cpu, higher SSD and another USB or a firewire port, then that won't be enough.

    But then the tablet throws a kink into it. Since I have the MP, I want a more portable solution than a 15MBP. Really wondering how they will do text input on the tablet. If it seems good enough, I may consider it.
     
  24. macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #24
    I miss the Air, but I won't go back until the following is changed:

    (1) Line Issue on the screen
    (2) Much better hinges
    (3) Glass Trackpad
    (4) 4 gigs of RAM
    (5) Better not go back to Intel graphics
     
  25. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2009
    #25
    Rev. B 1.86 128gb Stock SSD

    I'm waiting for the next revision to decide whether or not to upgrade to a new MBA or a new runcore SSD. I would like to see 4gb of ram in the same/similar form factor. 128gb is large enough for my needs, so any bigger would just add cost. I would like to see the price stay low like it is now (not as high as it was at launch). I would also like to see more BTO options.

    It seems that the ram is the biggest flaw of the current MBA, so I bet most of us would be happy with a 4gb option and keeping everything else the same. Maybe adding an external superdrive with blu-ray playback?
     

Share This Page