Current situation: Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Frohickey, May 13, 2004.

1. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Just another Iraqi blog to counter the doom 'n gloom from the major media.

=====

Ibrahim and the dark future.
    Last Friday my oldest uncle, along with his 16-year-old son, visited us, as he used to do this once every month. My uncle is a high school manager and a history teacher at the same time in the same school. I saw that he was wearing a nice suit that I had not seen him wearing before. I said "Nice suit uncle. Is it new?" He said "Yes, I bought it about a month ago". "It must be expensive" I asked and he replied, "Yes it is, but your uncle now can afford it".

Some of the readers may remember me saying something about my uncle. Before the war he was in the same job and he was paid about 15 thousands Iraqi Dinars that was equal to about 7 US$ a month. His wife, who is also a teacher, was paid a little less than that. He has 5 children; one in primary school three in high school and a girl in college. Of course that salary couldn’t help him support his family, yet he didn’t quit it. He always hoped that things would change for the better. In order to meet life's requirements and offer his kids a proper education, he had to work after school. He worked in every kind of business; a taxi driver, a grocer and opened a small shop for a while, but things didn’t go quite well.

<snip>

The bottom line, and to talk more seriously, is that the picture the media are giving us about Iraq is almost convincing, even to me, if it wasn’t for this insignificant detail, and something must be done to make it right before most Iraqis start to realize that! But to be fair our Arab and Muslim brothers, supported by the legitimate Arab leaders and cheered by most of the major media are aware of that, and of the dangers of the vicious cycle of (prosperity-stability-more prosperity-more stability) that the Americans and the Iraqi traitors (like myself) are trying to establish. They (our brothers) are doing all that they can; bombing oil pipelines and ports, beheading foreigners in the name of Iraqis and Allah, attacking electricity stations, creating chaos that allows thieves to loot everything they can, yet it’s still not working!! The Iraqi Dinar stands stable despite the fact that some Arab governments formally warned their citizens from dealing with it, the oil production is increasing, the markets are full of goods, most Iraqis are busy working, studying selling and buying and the average income is rising!
    Please, all those who care about the poor Iraqis and want to save them from the brutality of the American invaders and who want to prevent the Americans from stealing our fortune; meaning Bin laden, Zagrawi and their followers, Arab and Muslim tyrants, our good friend monsieur Dominique de Villepin, all the pacifists of the world, the major media, and in short, all those who hate America and obviously love Iraq: Get your s**t together and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT or else one or two years from now Iraq will be…a prosperous country, and then we will never forgive you for letting us down when we needed you!
    Besides, how would you face us if my cousin got a car and had an accident?!

=====

Hearts and minds... hearts and minds or was that hearts and clovers, or was it diamonds. :D

2. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Yes, this needs to go to the poliical forum ASAP...then I might comment...

4. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

How anyone could put a smiley face in the title is BEYOND me! :eek: :confused:

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The thing that I noted is that they are using a blogging service. One has to take what they see on the net with a very large grain of salt.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If anyone knows this belonged in the Political form, it's Frohickey. What was he trying to accomplish by posting it elsewhere, I wonder?

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I went to the site and started reading, the bit about how Abu Ghraib is so much better now than it was during SH's time was sickening. Although the 3 contributors to the blog claim to be dentists, there's no doubt in my mind that it is pure propaganda. The american english writing along with the claims that most people are working and are happy leaves no doubt in my mind that this blog is an organ of the US propaganda machine.

I read a number of Iraqi blogs, some pro-American and some anti, but this one tries to gloss over the atrocities being committed by the US.

If people use this blog to back up American claims that all is rosy in Iraq then they are being deluded.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The unfortunate thing is that people will for the most part want to believe in only what they want to believe.

Also remember history is written by the victors. And for me that means writing history for the future (the WMD argument), current (that the effort is going well, and the Iraqi people are better off), and what will actually be in the history books.

9. Frohickey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apologies for putting the thread into Current Events. I had just thought that it was appropriate since it was a bloggers' view into what is happening in his country, and there were no US political parties or politicians involved.

The few Iraqi blogs that I have seen are written by Zeyad, the dentist, and there is this recent one who is a doctor. Pretty enlightening if you ask me since they are presenting another viewpoint that we seldom see from the mainstream media outlets.

Now, if we can find an Iraqi engineer blog, that would be great. :D

Now, if they only had a webcam, that would be awesome. A web remote controlled webcam, via a USB link. Hmm... I wonder if the fruit company can come up with something like that. They already have the iSight out.

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That has to be the strangest little excerpt I've ever heard... and most definately a political piece. Me thinks someone wanted to post it where people wouldn't see it for what it was and wanted them to be all happy about the US occupation of Iraq...

11. Frohickey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Only if you consider the reporting of an Iraqi-on-the-street as political news. Yes, the blog might be considered reporting of good news coming out of Iraq, but this should be considered as a counterpoint to the bad news coming out of Iraq. Would you consider the bad news coming out of Iraq as solely political, instead of current events?

Was Somalia, Kosovo, and other use of the military considered 'political'?

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Its annecdotal leaving its value minimal... and I've no reason to believe it is true. As for your last statement... what the hell are you talking about? I don't see its relevence to the conversation or to Iraq.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I was in Baghdad the other day. Wonderful place. They love America there; don't believe what you hear. Honest. I was.

If I believed everything I read on the internet, I'd be one dumb sonofabitch.

14. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

LOL... that illlustrates my point beautifully! Thanks :D

15. Frohickey thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you contend that news of Iraq, good or bad, are political topics, then Somalia/Kosovo news, good or bad, were political topics as well at the time.

But, in the end, if your sentiment...
    speaks volumes as to the state of your mind and its openness to new information. :eek:

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Oh Jesus, it's a blog for feck's sake!!

I put about as much time and trust in a blogger's innane ramblings as I do equal-quality printed sources like the Weekly World News.

Which is none. At least with the WWN you can wipe yer arse with the pages. Though I'd be concerned of the **** that's already on the (web)page.

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

It's called cynicism, or the fact that it is not quite as trustworthy as the NYT or CNN, as generally they are required to verify their facts, as is both expected by the populace, and to protect themselves from libel...internet blogs do not have the same scrutiny put upon them...as far as the original topic of this thread, assuming for a moment that the quote/blog is factual...what does this mean? This does nothing to erase all of the horrible things that have been verifiably happening over there. I am not so jaded as to think that nothing positive has been accomplished in Iraq since the fall of Hussein, but in perspective, it pales in comparison to that which has gone wrong both in scope, seriousness and incidence. It is analgous to losing your house, your job, your girlfriend and your savings, but learning that your favorite bar is extending their happy hour next month. Day late, dollar short...

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Would you like to see some of the news reports from back then, or are you so uninformed that you really don't know the answer to your question?

If you are, just look up some of Tom DeLay's statements about the use of troops in Kosovo, or do a Google search for 'Kosovo' and 'Clinton' and 'wag the dog allegations'.

Which speaks volumes as to your state of mind and it's lack of a critical-thinking bone. When you see a new source of information on the internet, do you assume it's true? Or do you assume it's true only if it agrees with you and/or bashes liberals? Did you fail Critical Thought 101? :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :mad:

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

20. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

What he said. Thanks!

21. Frohickey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, passed that with flying colors. As well as Reading Comprehension 101. :p

Its a blog. Its apolitical. Its written by a person that is experiencing it, not a journalist that is paid to go get a particular story. Add this to the stories presented to us by paid journalists and you get a different picture of what is happening in that corner of the globe. Its another data point to add to the existing data points presented by the paid journalist and mass media.

More data is good.

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's like saying Macrumours is apolitical because the majority of it is devoted to Macs. Everything is political in some way shape or form. This blog is so clearly pro-American that it is very questionable and I seriously doubt that it is being done simply for the fun of it. My guess is that it is funded by the US or CPA or whatever.

This is not a different picture at all, what it is is a higly edited version of what is happening in Iraq today.

If you want to get a better idea of what is going on there, I recommend:

http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/ This by a young woman who is eloquent in her disgust at both the militia and the US. She praises what goes right but due to the effed up situation must spend most of her time at home simply because Baghdad is too unsafe for her.

http://www.dearraed.blogspot.com/ This by Salam Pax, who also writes a column for The Guardian . His writing is lighthearted and a good read but between the lines it is obvious that he is very concerned for his country now that the US is determined to put it back into the middle ages.

More data is good but unless one sifts through it with a critical eye then what's the point?

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Definition:political

1. [adj] involving or characteristic of politics or parties or politicians; "calling a meeting is a political act in itself"- Daniel Goleman; "political pressure"; "a political machine"; "political office"; "political policy"
    2. [adj] of or relating to your views about social relationships involving authority or power; "political opinions"
    3. [adj] of or relating to the profession of governing; "political career"

As you can see, it is not apolitical...it is fine if you want to present an alternative viewpoint...but have the decency to admit what it is...

24. DGFan macrumors 6502a

What amazes me is that Howard Stern gets fined for "indecency" but people like Rush and Savage say the things they do with nary a word from the FCC.

25. Frohickey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep. Read those already.