Current TV Sold to Al Jazeera

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Jan 4, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Other than listening to Stephanie Miller on the radio, I don't watch Current TV (I don't believe it's even offered by my cable provider).

Are there any thoughts out there regarding this purchase?

I personally just see it as a byproduct of Middle East money finding opportunities to invest in America.

I don't see it in as a bad thing ... so long as Stephanie finds another carrier for her very funny program.

But I am a naive liberal, so I might be overlooking the evil that has descended upon this country.

But really ... how much more evil could they be than Al Gore anyway?

:rolleyes:

2. macrumors Core

MacNut

Would be ironic if it was oil money that paid for Current.

I don't care personally. I never saw Current (like most everyone else in the country) and I don't know what the stigma Al Jazeera will have.

3. macrumors G5

yg17

Al-Jazeera was great during the Arab Spring when all of the American cable news networks were busy covering much more important news like Justin Beiber and the Kardashians and whatever other celebrities were in the news around the time of the Egyptian and Libyan uprisings. If CurrentTV becomes Al-Jazeera, I'll watch.

4. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Omg! Al-Jazeera is a terrorist news network and we shouldn't be watching it!!!!

....says Fox News and anyone else who's never watched it.

I personally love Al-Jazeera. I watched it all the time when I was in the middle east for four years.

5. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Gotta love the irony of Mr. Global Warming selling out to oil money, Qatar backed news organization.

A bit disturbed to read how Gore tried to get the sale done prior to 12/31 to beat tax hikes. You know, the tax hikes he says we need.

Lastly, it's about time we have another foreign owned news organization in the US. Makes FOX (largest shareholders are an Aussie and a Saudi)less unique.

What the **** is Current TV?

6. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Have to agree with all of rdowns statements for once.

Secondly, I don't really care if they have a tv station in the US, its not as if we don't have biased reporting already and tons of christian leaning channels

7. macrumors G4

skunk

It must be a good thing for US viewers to be exposed to a less parochial news agenda.

8. macrumors 68000

Sydde

They will name the American channel "Jaz" and explore ways to deliver some content that Americans will find palatable (build a following). On the upside, with a bunch of Americans on staff, the Arabs might gain a better feel for what American life is really like as some content will make it to the peninsula – which could be a good thing.

9. macrumors G4

skunk

...and vice versa.

10. macrumors 603

Welcome to the 21st century global economy. :D

11. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

I for one can only see benefits coming from this, the free press depends on as many different sources as possible.

12. macrumors 6502

This is good news (pun intended). I really hope Comcast picks this up. I watch Al Jazeera when I am traveling internationally on business, and I find it the coverage of global events is higher quality and less biased than the big US-based news organizations (CNN, MSNBC, FOX).

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I'd like to look at this aspect of the issue.

Why are you expecting Al Gore to base business decisions on his political or moral beliefs? Aren't those decisions best made amorally, based on what is best business-wise? Are you holding Al Gore to a standard that you don't hold other businessmen? Can you point to other examples where you've disagreed with business decisions based on the political or moral beliefs of the principles involved?

I may be mistaken, but I suspect that you're holding Al Gore to a standard that you otherwise don't require or expect from others in business. Please correct me if I am wrong.

14. macrumors Core

MacNut

Al Gore is the one who has blamed big oil for the worlds problems, so why would he sell out to big oil in the end. He could have sold Current to anyone. I personally don't care what he does with his money, it's just hypocritical of him.

15. macrumors 68030

bradl

Current has been a bit hot/cold for me. ATT U-Verse does have this channel.

Currently their lineup (looking at the channel guide right now) reads something like:

Vanguard
    Vanguard
    Marijuana Wars
    The Final 24
    The Final 24
    Capitalism: A Love Story

Wash/rinse/repeat for the weekend.

Talking Liberally: The Stephanie Miller Show will be on Monday, but I haven't seen much on the channel as I tend to skip over any of the 24-hour news cycle/talking heads channels.

There is more on the channel, but I haven't seen much of it. It will be interesting when Jaz/Al-Jazeera comes on; definitely interesting enough to watch.

BL.

16. macrumors P6

Peace

While it may be hypocritical for Gore to sell to "big oil" I don't think he could have sold it to anyone.
    I am glad to see AJ trying to become more mainstream in the U.S.

I like them but it's going to be more fodder for the right wing and tea party to bash liberals with.

17. macrumors 68030

bradl

Bold for emphasis.

This is a good point; to the point where they will try their hardest to link liberals with terrorists, a la OWS.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to go on a itch hunt to expose any dealings between liberals and terrorists.

BL.

18. thread starter macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Are you talking about Climate Change?

Is he blaming big oil for that? Or is he trying to raise awareness of a human-caused phenomenon of which petroleum plays a part? I see the two as being quite different.

Anyone interested in buying it.

Perhaps there was no one else interested. Or those others were outbid. If they were outbid, why is it hypocritical to sell your business to the highest bidder? Isn't that what any businessman would do?

19. macrumors demi-god

Kurwenal

Who else was willing to buy this channel that, based on this thread, apparently almost no one has heard of?

Evidence in this thread to the contrary.

20. macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Actually Becks Blaze network offered a larger sum then AJ and was turned down by Al Gore because the beliefs of the network didn't align with his own.

But taking oil money is okay....

Oh and he was also rushing to get the deal done before Jan 1 to avoid the tax implications.

21. macrumors P6

Peace

As far as Gore selling out to big oil the same thing could be said had he sold it to some company in the US since the US produces oil.

From wikipedia :

The original Al Jazeera channel was started in 1 November 1996 by an emiri decree with a loan of 500 million Qatari riyals (US$137 million) from the Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa.[33][34] By its funding through loans or grants rather than direct government subsidies, the channel claims to maintain independent editorial policy.

22. macrumors demi-god

Kurwenal

Do you have a reputable cite that Beck "offered a larger sum"? The WSJ article, which from what I have seen is the only basis for the Beck story, states that the "negotiations" never got beyond Beck's network saying "hey if you ever want to sell we'd be interested" and Current responding "uh, no thanks, we don't want to do business with you." And that happened more than a year ago.

What's wrong with doing business with a company that is owned by the royal family of Qatar? You think Gore never uses oil? You think he doesn't own a car? I've read Gore's book and I do not recall him ever saying, there or anywhere else, "we should stop using oil and you should never do business with any government that gets most or a lot of its tax revenue from the oil business."

I've never watched this so-called network, but the double standards being thrown around in this thread are remarkable.

23. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm not holding Al Gore to any standard I wouldn't hold anyone else to. If you preach global warming and the evils of fossil fuels for years and then sell those very "evil" people your cable station, you're a ****ing hypocrite. I would have had more respect for him had he sold to Glenn Beck.

----------

Just because no one here has heard of Current, it doesn't make it any less valuable. It is available in something like 60 million homes. If you wanted to launch a cable channel, would you rather do it from scratch or buy one that is already in 60 million homes?

Glenn Beck and his merry bunch of loons wanted to buy it.

24. thread starter macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Now you're just being hyperbolic.

As pointed out earlier, Al Gore uses fossil fuels just like anybody else and I've never heard him refer to them or the companies who produce them as "evil".

Increasing awareness that Climate Change is a real phenomenon doesn't require Gore to completely eschew fossil fuels any more than warnings against alcoholism must only come from people who never drink.

----------

Why would you think Gore—unlike any other businessman—shouldn't think about the tax implications of his business decisions?

Please explain.

25. macrumors demi-god

Kurwenal

You missed my point, which is about the lack of proof that someone other than AJ was willing to write Gore a check of this size. Your response goes to value.