Current value of macs website

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Stinkythe1, Nov 20, 2005.

1. macrumors regular

I remember seeing some website that showed the value of macs for resale. For example, it might show that a Macintosh 128 might be worth $200 and a Powermac G5 1.6 might be worth $1500.

It had a list of all the different apple products with their value. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

2. macrumors 601

generik

eBay is always a good guide, but when the Intel switchover is complete you will see everything fall to the norminal price of $0.00.

3. macrumors newbie

Ummmmm... well, I checked e-bay for that old iMac G3 400Mhz that's on the floor and I'm walking around because I don't have the time to wipe the HD, and I was amazed to discover that it has a value of more than $0.00. So instead of putting it out in the trash, I'll put it on e-bay. Once I get around to wiping the HD.

BTW, I paid $1,499 back in 2000, the cute-as-the-dickens 12" PB that I just bought was $1,499 - $150 rebate = $1349.

Ain't free trade grand? :D

4. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Whats the definition of norminal? And I'm pretty sure that PPC Macs will retain most of their value after Intels are released, and 68k Macs will also retain their value, as they are mostly sentimental anyway.

5. macrumors 6502

I'm willing to bet that after the intel switch, PPC macs will still be in demand, especially once a ton of first generation bugs rear their heads. Besides, the PPC platform holds a lot of value to previous mac owners.

6. macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Not really. The new MacIntel machines will not run Classic applications. That alone makes the PPC Macs worth using for many people and businesses who have data in legacy application formats. The existance of MacIntel won't kill the price of PPC Macs. I almost wish it would since then I could buy up any I wanted. :)

7. thread starter macrumors regular

8. macrumors 6502

The website you want is called ebay. Search for completed items. Marvel at the idiots who pay 80% of the new price for 2-year-old computers.

Or, for more recent Macs, just go to the store.apple.com "Special Deals" page and look up the price of a refurb mac. Then add 10% to that price and watch it sell to some other idiot on craigslist.

I'll never understand why people pay so much for used macs.

-vga4life

9. macrumors 68020

Ha, sometimes it goes higher than 80%. I was recently on the lookout for an iMac G4, ideally a 17". Funny thing, those things were selling for as much as a refurb 17" iMac G5 direct from Apple. The 15" models went for significantly less, so I settled on the last rev. 1.0 Ghz iMac G4 for a great price. I'm happy with it. :)

10. macrumors 68000

neut

Current Mac prices are listed at Low End Macs ... not sure about older systems though. :confused:

peace | neut

11. thread starter macrumors regular

That's KIND of what I'm looking for, but I remember it being more layed out like in a table or something.

12. macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Won't Rosetta allow any PPC app, classic or otherwise to be run on the x86 architecture? In that case, there is no reason to have a PPC machine whatsoever.

13. macrumors 68000

neut

There will be a speed lost with emulation. PPCs are quite relevant.

peace | neut

14. g^3
    macrumors member

15. thread starter macrumors regular

16. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

last I remember hearing was that Apple didn't plan to support Classic applications on Rosetta.....maybe they've changed their mind since the switch was announced but that's what I remember being said at the time

17. macrumors 65816

chaos86

apple had enough trouble just getting classic (apps for an old kernel) to be emulated in OS X. now imagine running an app thats emulated to run on a different kernel, emulated to run on a different chip architecture. it's like running virtual pc, but more complex because the virtual pc software emulates the intel and microsoft stuff all at the same time.

18. macrumors 68000

mklos

I think that it will have the opposite effect that you said. PPC Macs are still needed for a lot of people and when Apple stops producing them, they're going to be in extreme need for many others. Just like AirPort Cards went up in price when Apple stopped producing them. I don't see the value of PPC Macs going down anytime soon. Yes, they will go down eventually, but not anything past what they do now.