Curse You

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by carbonmotion, Mar 22, 2004.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

So I find out from my friend today that putting my powerbook to sleep and walking with it around campusin 20 degree winter michigan weather will warp my powerbook.... not believing him, i I decide to call up APP... Yup, the concur... you powerbook can only operate (sleep or awake) between 50-95 degrees. No one ever told me about that :(... **** I used to own a titanium book that I would turn on outside all the time, and it was fine.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Most electronics products I've seen are rated to work within 50-125 degrees F but usually are happier closer to the mid point. It doesn't seem a surprise that you shouldn't have the computer operating outside specified limits.

Hope your machine is okay.

3. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

cool...my pbk is fine. i love it.

4. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

And to think about all that talk about super cooling CPUs so they run better!! How would you mix that tchnology? 75°f vs -450°f odd stuff!!

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I find that to be total crap. I routenly use my TiBook at night in my Apartment when it gets below 40F. Sometimes when in MI it is below 20F. Use it whenever you want, just make sure the machine has cooled down to "room" tempeature before opening it in the colo, because there may be some condensation that could dammage the machine.

TEG

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

TEG>

your apartment gets below 40°? that's insane!

7. mms macrumors 6502a

After reading all this I'm glad to live in South CA. No excessive heat or cold. Climate is one thing I've never had to worry about. I've used a PowerBook in such cold before with no problems, but it was only for a couple days. Using it everyday in such conditions might give you problems.

8. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I carried my TI book outside in rochester weather, sleep and awake quite often. As people know, it get COLD up here. Never had a problem.

BEN

9. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I live in up-state NY (Niskayuna) and my pipes froze last January and the furnace went out (and that was a good day) but my G3 kept right on pluggin, even though when I got home the temp in the house was 0°. I don't own a PB but I did go on a Photo shoot when the wind chill was -20° and the shutters on my cameras froze. Damn, and Lock 7 was in awsome diplay!

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

When I lived in Siberia, I took my iBook around in a bag while still on sometimes when it was as cold as -30 or so. It also was super cold in my apartment some nights when the heat didn't seem to be working properly. The iBook is still fine and going strong.

I always wondered what the critical component is that operates worst at very cold temperatures. For some reason I kind of thought the screen would be the least happy, but I don't actually know anything about it.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I imagine it runs hot enough to offset the ambient temperature.