Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cadence

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
So it's now been 1 week since having made the "switch" and I LOVE my new G5. However, I've encountered my first little bug...my curson keeps randomly disappearing in Safari. Has anyone experienced this problem? I can see the cursor for the most part, but every now and then it will just randomly disappear...I can see the button I highlight, but won't be able to see the arrow. Any suggestions or help?? I havn't noticed this in the OS yet, just in Safari so far.

Thanks!

volfreak

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Knoxville, TN
Possible clue/answer

While this may not be what is happening there is one difference in Windows and Mac OS. When you start typing (Word, Safari and others), the mouse pointer will disappear to keep it from interfering with your view of the area where text is being entered. All you have to do is touch or barely move the mouse and the pointer should reappear. I just tried it in Word (to make sure that OSX still applies this UI standard and it does). Also, as I started typing this reply, the cursor pointer disappears. So, that may be the issue.

For those switchers, these are some of the little things we Mac users have always enjoyed and sometimes take for granted.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
:cool:

volfreak

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Knoxville, TN
A few other things....

that are totally unrelated to your topic. Since you're still new, I'd search Apple's site for "keyboard shortcuts" and see all the things available. For example, ever have to print screen in Windows? Kind of a pain.

In Mac OS, Cmd-Shift-3 copies the full desktop to a PDF file on the desktop (Picture N). Cmd-Ctrl-Shift-3 copies the full desktop to the clipboard. Cmd-Ctrl-4 changes the mouse pointer to a cross-hair and will copy anything selected within the selection area to a PDF file on the desktop. Cmd-Ctrl-Shift-4 does the same thing but to the clipboard. There are other variations on these as well.

Lots of little things that are real handy.

I hope you enjoy your new system.

Take care.

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
Actually, the problem he's describing IS a valid bug, and one thats been annoying for some time as well. It is also not related to typing and having the cursor vanish.

The problem only seems to happen in Safari and only with certain websites. But I have had my mouse cursor completly disappear before, and its very difficult sometimes to get it to reappear again, since you are actually moving an invisible cursor around, and not knowing where you are clicking.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
^^^ yes, that is indeed a problem. There was a thread about it sometime back and many guys including myself reported the same thing. cursor disappears near the 'back' button of safari.

volfreak

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Knoxville, TN
Jigglelicious said:
Actually, the problem he's describing IS a valid bug, and one thats been annoying for some time as well. It is also not related to typing and having the cursor vanish.

The problem only seems to happen in Safari and only with certain websites. But I have had my mouse cursor completly disappear before, and its very difficult sometimes to get it to reappear again, since you are actually moving an invisible cursor around, and not knowing where you are clicking.

That's why I didn't say the typing was the issue, just a possible cause. And it is something nice to know for a new user to know. :)

Just out of curiosity, does switching to another app bring the cursor back? Also, might starting a screensaver and clearing it cause the cursor to reappear (if you're using Hot Corners)? I wonder if it might it be a Javascript issue?

Hopefully it was reported to Apple and they fix it. I can imagine this is quite annoying.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.