cursor sometimes disappears in safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bill4588, Mar 1, 2007.

1. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

Every so often in Safari, my cursor will "disappear" when I move it up in the tab/address bar/favorites/page options area. It will be fine when the cursor is on top of the web page or in another app, but for some reason it only happens in Safari. I can fix it by quitting Safari and reopening it, but clearing the cache and resetting it doesn't do anything. Why is this? And can I keep it from happening?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Is Safari loading properly when the cursor goes away or does is goes away anytime when you are in safari?
    Give repair permissions a run and see what happens.

Bless

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I've had the same problem numerous times in the past, although when it pops up is seemingly random. The only fix I've found is to close Safari and reopen it.

...and this bug is the reason I wish Safari had session saving :)

5. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

i have this problem too, but i never need to close or reset safari. i only need to move the cursor away from the back-forward buttons and the cursor reappears. Another interesting safari quirk thats ive noticed is sometimes when you click on a link, nothing happens, until you move the cursor off the link. then the page loads like normal.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have a very similar issue, but in OmniWeb, not Safari (both are WebCore browsers, if that makes a difference). Moving the mouse around until it reappears fixes it temporarily.

7. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

Maybe repairing permissions does work, but maybe it doesn't since I do it on a weekly basis. The last time it happened was just a little while ago, and I fixed it by quitting and reopening safari. It only happens about once every 2-3 weeks at random. Next time it happens I'll try repairing permissions without restarting safari. Thanks for the help everyone!

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The Guardian's website is the only place I have this problem. Is it code related?

9. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I've never actually taken note of which websites this seems to happen in. ...I don't think it's website-related, but I am definitely going to start making a note of the sites when it happens., just in case.

10. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Yes, this happens to me regularly. FWIW, I've noticed that it occurs especially when you move the cursor over some animated ads as you're moving the mouse - so if that's flash related, or some other software, or something else altogether I don't know, but it kills the cursor... funny though, I can still see the cursor effects as I move over the dock, so I know it's there, I just can't see the cursor itself. Personally I believe it's an OS X bug.

11. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Yeah, I believe its either flash releated or javascript of some kind, because i've had the problem before. The cursor usually comes back after moving it off and on the Safari window rapidly.

12. gorkov macrumors newbie

Site related

I thin it could be site related. for me it only dissapear on demonoid site

13. shamshidulock macrumors newbie

It's a flash animation problem

The mouse pointer dissappears in safari when i visit the flash sites, still not sure if safari has the bug!

14. SonicBoom1981 macrumors regular

Mine seems to do this so often, but so far I think it's always (or mostly) when using forums.

15. paulmcd macrumors newbie

Found a solution for Safari

This issue was driving me nuts too - especially if you wanted to select/copy some text from a page and you couldn't get a cursor to appear.

Anyhow - installed the Extension "Plugin Customs" into Safari 5 and it stops Flash from automatically loading on a page and, hey, no cursor problems.

May not suit everyone, but for me it's the answer.
    Worth trying - it's free, easy to install and easy to remove if it's not for you.