Custom install Final Cut Studio.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gusanitoverde, Feb 4, 2007.

1. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I had a powerbook 17" 1.67 with 120 GB and installed FCP Studio with all its libraries, and it almost filled up my hard drive. I was pretty displeased, since I use my laptop more than just use it for FCP.
    So, I sold my Powerbook and bought a Macbook Pro 17" 2.33 Ghz IC2D with a hard drive of 160 GB. I just don't want to fill my hard drive with the applications. Now here are the facts:
    I have a 250 GB external Hard Drive. I guess I cannot install FC Studio in the external HD, but while the box reads that the programs take only about 4 GB of space which is not bad at all) the libraries associated with it will swamp 42 GB of space, and those, I would love to get them off my laptop. Is there any way to customize the installation so I will only install the programs and diet those 42 GB in my external HD?
    Thanks to all!
    :)

2. -DH macrumors 65816

>> Is there any way to customize the installation so I will only install the programs and diet those 42 GB in my external HD?<<

Yes. Do a custom install. That will allow you to direct the apps to your boot drive and the extras (LiveType Data, SoundTrack Loops, etc) to your external drive.

>>I had a powerbook 17" 1.67 with 120 GB and installed FCP Studio with all its libraries, and it almost filled up my hard drive. I was pretty displeased<<

Before you do the install, read the "Installing Your Software" manual. It will show you how to do the custom install so you won't be displeased again.

-DH

3. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

that also includes any parts of FCP Studio you dont use... I personally dont use Motion or Qmaster so that all saves a few precious gigs.... :)

4. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde