Custom iPod In-Car

Discussion in 'iPod' started by SkAlex, Jul 11, 2005.

1. SkAlex
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Hey everyone...I am scheduled at a local car stereo place to do a custom install of the ice link plus in my MINI Cooper S tomorrow. The plan is to replace the two front cupholders (quite useless in the MINI - the dashboard prohibits you from fitting most sized cups) with a dock for the iPod, complete with song information on my headunit and stearing wheel controls. Instead of a clip-on mount, they are going to modify the interior trim to make it look at stock as possible.

Now my question is: which size should I tell them to make the dock? I currently have a 40 gig 4G iPod, but don't want to rule out a future purchase of possibly a color iPod. Should I tell them to fit it for one of the color models, or should I fit it snugly to the one I have now, perhaps making an adjustment to the instalation in the future if neccessary?

2. sjpetry
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I would make it snug for the one you have now. And then get a new dock when you get a new iPod.
    My reason for this is that I wouldn't want my iPod getting damaged by moving back and forth in the dock.(The Mini's a fast car :cool: )
    Just make sure that it is easy to replace the dock. ;)

Th Mini is a great little car. :)

3. jayscheuerle
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

How about making the dock for the largest units and having them fashion an insert for your present iPod so that it fits snugly?

4. SkAlex
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was considdering...this install involves building a custom piece of plastic to incorporate the dock into the interior and I have my doubts about being able to easily make alterations to it in the future... hrmmm

thanks for your input so far guys

5. grapes911
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Or maybe a piece of foam (like small weather stripping) instead.

6. puckhead193
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

puckhead193

7. sjpetry
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

sjpetry

That's a much better and economically idea. :)