Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxHorseRiderxxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
I made an account just to post this... lol. Anyway, I was able to get a custom dock image working on my 10.8 Mountain Lion GM build.

7631471138_5219dbae99_b.jpg

So basically what you do, is download dockdesigner here:

http://www.moritzwette.com/dockdesigner/dockdesigner.zip?forcedownload

Open up dockdesigner and click the 3D tab, then click the "NO" button under transparent dock. After that you can copy and paste in your custom dock images; the ones that I highlighted.

Glockron

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012
I wouldn't like that dock - but everyone has their own taste :)

The new ML dock is probably the one thing I am most excited for - I'm gonna keep it as it is! :p

xxHorseRiderxxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
dockdesigner isn't mine, and not trying to promote anything, just trying to help people out that were looking for a method to theme their dock. I spent at least 4 hours looking for a way to customize it, and after I figured out atleast a proof of concept I wanted to share with everyone

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Guys, it's a proof of concept, not a fashion show! :p

I personally don't like to customize my dock outside of arranging icons by shape, but hey! At least we know it's possible!

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
thanks for sharing, im interested in this because im not 100% sure i prefer the mountain lion dock over the leopard/sl/lion one.

i do like the ML dock as an alternative though

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I've always modded my dock to a black surface to see the open indicator "orbs" better, I don't understand why Apple uses a silver dock with light color indicators.

Normally I replace the four scurve*.png's and frontline, but [obviously] that is no longer possible. I tried your app and method, the only aspect which changed are the indicators as I couldn't get the dock itself to mod.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

PS I wrote Panic re: CandyBar for 10.8 support, their reply wasn't very encouraging.

cvam1985

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2011
I've always modded my dock to a black surface to see the open indicator "orbs" better, I don't understand why Apple uses a silver dock with light color indicators.

Normally I replace the four scurve*.png's and frontline, but [obviously] that is no longer possible. I tried your app and method, the only aspect which changed are the indicators as I couldn't get the dock itself to mod.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

PS I wrote Panic re: CandyBar for 10.8 support, their reply wasn't very encouraging.

Same here - I am so looking forward to a custom dock in ML - specifically black. Thanks for the hard work - for now I'm using your app to enable the 2D dock (is this an OSX preference that I can't find?)

Can't get the background to change - is there a certain size the image must be?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere

i did the same thing, and the dock was beautiful! haven't figured it out yet with the new dock either...let's keep this going! would love to get that back.

Whatabloke

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
I made an account just to post this... lol. Anyway, I was able to get a custom dock image working on my 10.8 Mountain Lion GM build.

So basically what you do, is download dockdesigner here:

http://www.moritzwette.com/dockdesigner/dockdesigner.zip?forcedownload

Open up dockdesigner and click the 3D tab, then click the "NO" button under transparent dock. After that you can copy and paste in your custom dock images; the ones that I highlighted.

G'Day mate,
I came across your post here and would like to achieve something similar. I am on ML and tried the app you mentioned however it just kept popping up the same. I even copied the files and restarted to get the same effect. Any chance you could shed some light onto this or point me in another direction.

Cheers
Whatabloke

Whatabloke

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
What am I doing wrong

I cannot get any of the previously mentioned steps to work. The closest thing I got to working was by following instructions on Leopard Docks and 'killall Dock". The downloaded dock partly showed (only the indicator lights) there was not any change to the "SILVER BAR" Can anyone please help..

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
Same here. Doesn't work on the final release. I got the scurves to show up but it always changes them back. Maybe changing permissions and locking it????

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
yeah, the silver bar...maybe the resources are somewhere else? am going to play with it a bit. apple always changes these things, so those of us who like to customize our macs, have to find our way again.

so we will. :cool:

Whatabloke

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
How Dare They

If you do manage to get it going, please let me know. As much as I like the Silver Bar, I would really like to try out something new..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.