Custom Scripts

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Vlade, Feb 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

I was thinking of a great way to make it easier to get new users. Imagine if there was a program that would create a custom script that once double clicked will install folding under your username with team 3446 on it. It would making installs on labs really easy, you pop in the CD, double click, and eject.

mc68k, do you think you could do this? If not, I may be able to help by making a cocoa app that takes the users information and modifies a default script and exports the new one if you need help.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Having a custom script would be a useful tool Vlade. I know that in my case it would have been very helpful. If it had not been for the patience of MrMacman, I would have never got folding installed.

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Intresting idea...

But whose account does it go under?

'TheLabScript' as a username?

I mean there are some customizable things that are needed for just standard info.

Name...
    how your connectd to the internet...
    How many processors your machine has... :eek:

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've considered doing this in the past with my own scripts.

I'm just not sure how successful it would be to collect information and display it in a window to make it easier to configure and then, pass it back to the programme.

Maybe, it just needs to be aware of everything ahead of time, let the user change things and then, output the results as the console programme asks for them.

5. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Sorry to bring up this thread again, but I have a good idea to get us lots of points IF I can get a script that will install after double clicking for team 3446 under my username, with no questions asked... I feel if I leave it up to the user to enter the team number they will forget because users NEVER read any documentation.

mc68k would it be easy for you to make a template for us to modify scripts with our username, or should I dig around your scripts myself?

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Sounds like a virus, sent it to all of your friends and there computer starts folding without them knowing it. Sounds great!!

7. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Kind of... basically I will just distribute the script on sites like versiontracker and tell them that it is protein folding... most people will instal and forget about it, and if it gives them problems they can just use the rid command. I considered the graphical client, but people will close that too easy, with the script they will just install and work on units without thinking about it.

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

good thinking!

9. familyte macrumors member

H e l l o . . .

I'm sure this thread is for fun, but do you realize what your taking about...

Talk like this could, if it ever materialized, would shut down the project Quicker that you think. So please, communicate responsible action in regards to Folding at Home.

Keep it fun for the rest of us!

10. Mustang Mac macrumors regular

Wake up script kiddies! Try playing elsewhere! Unless of course you are trying to ruin the project for the rest of us that know the difference between right and wrong. Perhaps you need to read the Stanford FAQs a little more clearly.

11. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

You must have all misinterpreted my idea, the idea isn't a virus that installs folding@home on everyones computer, but a program that is intended to solve protein simulations. For example the user goes to versiontracker.com and sees a program called Folding@Home scripts, and reads how it uses your computers spare CPU cycles to help cure diseases, and lets say 10% of the people download it that look at it, and they install it willfully, with a readme that says how to check their progress and delete itself in the terminal.

A virus that did this would be horrible, because folding sometimes can hurt certain things, and its just wrong to wring up peoples electric bills unnecessarily high

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Please do not distribute the code that runs when you type work without my permission. It is code I created and I would appreciate not being part of someone's plan to take over the world.

13. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

oeeee, though crowd here, lighten up people. There is a read me with it, If you wan't to install it, you just download it, if you want to get rid of it, you can find instructions in the read me. I don't see a problem here.

14. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

OK, is there a way to delete that from mc68k's script? I think I will be diving into some script code in the next week.

Also, why do you see a problem with this? It is totally up to the user if he wants to instal it or not, I am not planning on taking over the world :(

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Apparently MacOsX Team feeled the need to post a link to this thread...

I want to give a shout out to them.

Again I have to say Custom Scripts are a GREAT idea.

For installing on a lab of computers... All Great ideas.

I really don't see how this COULD be mallicious since the person would need to install it... :confused:

And even so they would know what they are doing...

Its no virus and for sure this isn't malicious.

16. familyte macrumors member

:( and continues

:( and continues

If I have read this correctly, this is "down loader beware." You have now began to fold for "Someone other than your self" and you will remain doing so until you delete this script.

My question, with the way that this has been posted, "And even so they would know what they are doing," or would they?

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hopefully, it was meant to default to team 3446 but would configure folding@home to any team, any user name. It is unclear to me, as the scripts have nothing to do with the team or user name, but I will assume that Vlade has the best intentions, even though it appears that his enthusiasm is bordering on taking over the world. ;)

18. familyte macrumors member

Thank you, bousozoku for clearing up the idea behind the thread...

BTW Any new developments on your graphical display, or have you moved on to other project. If so any links?

Fold on my Mac friends...

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I continue to work on the progress monitor but it's been slow. Between my photography and my need to find work, it has suffered. The link is my home page in every forum I attend, including Noah's Team Mac OSX forums. I would think that you would no longer need my monitor as you have another available to you.

20. familyte macrumors member

Oh the memories... History has a way of repeating itself around here.

Perhaps a course of "Ethics 101" might be in order?

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm not sure why you've decided to push on this after so long. Vlade's basic idea is so similar to InCrease that either would cause the unconcious user to fold for another team. I didn't support his idea and so I find myself not supporting InCrease for the same reason.

Talking ethics is fine, if your team is not accidentally receiving points because of a product with dubious morals.

22. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Man, don't even talk to me about a script like this. This is a good way to drum up a headache for yourself! Take it from me.

23. familyte macrumors member

Please do not mix other fine / legit installers into this mess, Thanks.

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

ken, please kindly quit trying to create a "mess" in the first place.

We're addressing the situation - jethroted has contacted Vijay Pande, even. Keep trolling and you're out of here. OK?

25. familyte macrumors member

You call it as you wish, and I call it CONCERN for Folding at Home and the project in its entirety.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.