Custom Windows Hard Drive Icon

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by newportnews, Apr 6, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2003
    I know this seems pretty trivial -- but how do you set a custom icon to the Windows partition. So that you hold down option at startup you see a Windows icon.
  2. macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2004
    the retina of the mind's eye
    my windows partition is NTFS, so I can't do anything to it in OSX. you *might* be able to give it an icon in OSX if the drive is formatted as FAT32

someone care to test this?
  3. macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Dec 8, 2005
    The Opium Garden
    I partitioned Fat32 so i could write to Winblows drive from OsX... My iMac icon shows up @ boot but Winblows is still the Generic drive icon... (even though on my desktop it is the Winblows icon...
  4. 7on
    macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    try this - set a folder icon to the icon you want the windows drive (can be any folder anywhere). Enable "show hidden files" (using terminal or Cocktail's free trial) then inside that folder should be an externsionless "Icon" file. Copy that to a thumbdrive or a cd anything that's readable in Windows.

Boot into Windows

Copy the "Icon" file to the root of the C: drive (you might have to enable hidden folders)

In "theory" this should work. The FAT32 thing does would with thumbdrives.
  5. macrumors 6502

Nov 10, 2005
    Sounds like a plan, I did spend some time trying to do this, and failed dismally. This at least feels like a more plausible track.

One question, why wouldn't you copy the Icon file from OS-X if you have a FAT32 partiition?