'Customers just don't want radios on their iPods' - I do

Discussion in 'iPod' started by JLS, Sep 20, 2005.

1. JLS macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

Let them know!

The source for that extract is here:
    http://hardware.silicon.com/storage/0,39024649,39152441,00.htm

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Can we also use that form to request Apple not to add radios to the iPod?

Edit: I just used the form to send what I called an "anti-enhancement" request to not add a radio.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

indeed. i don't want a single millimeter wasted on radio circuitry. i'm surrounded by radios, that's often what i'm trying to block out with my iPod ;)

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Agreed

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

agreed, you can add radio features with products from companies like Griffin Technology though if you want it that bad.

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

LOL... I think on my second mp3 player, a creative labs nomad had a radio with 128mb of memory, I can't even recall using the radio function.

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Why? If I wanted to listen to the radio, I would buy one for 5 dollars. Don't screw up my iPod with a radio...

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If they added XM radio to an iPod I would be all for it. I wouldn't see any problem with subscription commercial free radio on iPod's. Heck, if they did that I might consider getting an iPod. Though I doubt it. I would be more likely to buy an iPod if they put a good size PDA screen on it and added a video player. Maybe even make a PDA cell phone with video capabilities and a 60 Gig hard drive. :cool:

9. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I'm in the same boat, no radio for me.

It's the same when some of my friends brag about having satellite radio in their vehicles.

They get all fired up telling me about their neat radio, and I just say, "Why would I want that? I've got my own personal, customized, song selection on my iPod that guarantees I'll never hear a bad song.

10. roadapple macrumors regular

and that you have heard them all before ;)

I would like a AM/FM radio on the nano, love my sports and NPR.

11. NicP macrumors 6502

agreed

12. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

13. Matt_vn macrumors newbie

The reason I got an ipod was because of the quality of radio itself. :)

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I don't mind not having a radio in my iPod either, and if I did, probably wouldn't use it very often at all- certainly not for music...maaaaaaybe occasionally for sports talk radio.

All that being said, I also have a shuffle that I use for working out, and I think a radio tuner would be a great idea to be able to tune into the television programming they have in the gym. They often have ESPN on, or whatever game is being played at the time, and it would be a great option to be able to hear the broadcast through the shuffle while I watch the monitors...all while running.

I wonder just how often I would use this feature, if it were one. The answer: not enough to take time out of my day to suggest it to Apple, but I'd like to try it once or twice at least. :)

15. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I whould actually like a radio, but obviously Apple has no intention of adding it.

At first I found it a bit annoying, but now I don't care. I bought another player then, and I'll buy another player when/if my current one fail (if, of course, I'm still listening to radio).

Guess the iPod's just not the player for me, and that's fine.

16. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Argh, I HATE RADIO SO MUCH!

I can't remember the last time I purposefully listened to it.

If I wanted to hear IDIOTS talk about CRAP, I'd....

uhm...

turn on the radio.

17. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

18. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Geez, I've never seen such a lack of interest in added functionality on these forums. :mad:

Usually people bitch and moan six ways to sunday about something that's MISSING from the iPod and here's something that adds free and often new music/talk radio to your portable listening experience and you trounce on it like angry children.

I'd love to see a tuner in a future iPod, not just for listening to radio but for transmitting it like my iTrip does now.

And please no flames about getting a creative player...blech.

19. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Face the facts JLS, Jon Rubinstein was right.

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Most people are not opposed to what they consider "desirable" new functionality. The issue here is that many of us do not consider radio as desirable. And I believe there are already 3rd-party manufacturers making FM receiver/transmitters for the iPod. Perhaps Griffin will announce their own. I applaud Apple for resisting the temptation of adding "everything plus the kitchen sink" to the iPod.

21. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I think the option to use the iPod as a radio should be available. Sometimes i like to just listen to the news or something, which is handy when you're on the move.

Surely it would be easy enough to build it into the standard iPods without any significant change in size, then those who want to use it can use it.
    If it changed any cosmetic factors of the iPod though, i'd say it's a big no no. :p

22. JLS thread starter macrumors 6502

How can you justify not wanting the ability to listen to the radio (news, traffic, sports, talk etc) by saying that it would use up space in the iPod?

If you can get a radio in a tiny tiny mobile phone I hardly think it would be a major difficulty for them to put it in an iPod.

Let me make the following argument:

1. If it has a radio - you have a CHOICE not to use it if you don't want to; and the people that want to use it can.

2. If there is no radio - nobody has a choice.

23. cube macrumors G4

Lack of FireWire, lack of Bluetooth, lack of radio, nonreplaceable battery are my reasons not to get an iPod.

24. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am spoiled listening to my iPod.
    Whenever I do something stupid, like turn on my radio, I am immediately reminded of why I don't listen...

1. Commercials... they never seem to end, I mean how many new/used car commercials can there be! The commercial time is insane.

2. DJs... they absolutely love to hear themselves talk, and so you have the "morning shows" with a ditzy sidekick, etc.

3. Promotions... win $$$$$ by playing this or that game, call in and you could be the one to say "what's your favorite radio station?? Why WXYZ of course!"

On and on it goes...

I usually turn it off before I actually get to hear a song

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]