Customers protest due to peanut return

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by quagmire, Feb 16, 2009.

1. macrumors 603

quagmire

Customers are complaining about Northwest returning peanuts to the snack menu citing allergy concerns.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/02/16/airline.peanuts/index.html

IMHO, this is ridiculous. Why should I not have peanuts because one person on the plane is allergic to them? If you're allergic to them, don't choose them as your snack. If you're case is that severe like the person in the story, tell a flight attendant so something can be worked out. This country is too busy appeasing the minority.

2. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The whole issue of allergy epidemiology and validity of testing protocols is quite interesting also... The Times ran a great piece on the topic not too long ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/health/03well.html?scp=3&sq=peanut allergies&st=cse

I would be perfectly happy if they made accommodations when a traveler disclosed a peanut allergy, as the article itself states they do, including if it meant that I got inferior pretzels (meh) to yummy peanuts. Plus the data suggests that block banning of these supposedly allergenic foods may have the opposite end result, much like overuse of antibacterials....

3. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

4. j26
    macrumors 65816

j26

This thing of trying to protect everyone from even the smallest risk is just nuts.

5. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If it becomes necessary, and I am seated next to you, I am trained and will not hesitate to use it. ;)

6. macrumors 601

Schtumple

fixed

7. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No big deal, I know a girl that carries one, if she remembers.

Stab the thigh muscle, through any clothing and wait 10 seconds. Remove, and massage site.

Done.

8. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'd gladly except cheese and crackers over peanuts. :)

9. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Blame the lawyers, imagine serving peanuts to someone whos allergic yet still stupid enough to eat them or serving some georgia nuts and killing someone. With that said Im eating some Do-si-dos right now, feeling a little strange.:D

10. macrumors 68020

JML42691

As much as I agree that this is one of those things that is getting blown out of proportion, you may want to reconsider/rephrase that last statement, it may be taken the wrong way. Especially when viewed in historical context of this country.

11. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And we have an example of the problem with this country.

We are run by the minority and special intersted groups. Long time has passed for what is best for the largest body of people.

I think it is crap because while it is the most common allergy it is still very Rare.

Everyone should not suffer because of the few.

Like the original poster said if the person discloses it I have NO problem adjusting to it. But to banned them is stupid.

My counter point is I am hypoglycemic. Peanuts are great for helping me with my blood sugar levels. It keeps them in the healthy range for a much longer period of time. I use penuts when I feel it getting low because it does not spike my system and it keeps it stable.

Why should I risk blood sugar problems every time I fly on the off chance some one can not handle peanuts.

the only person I have ever met with the a peanut allergy has no problem making it known and people where fine with it.

12. macrumors 6502

I'm allergic to peanuts and i think things like this are just ridiculous. I hate governments and businesses trying to please minorities.

13. macrumors member

Why don't they just address the elephant in the room? All they are doing here is promoting a shell game, and not facing the jam these passengers saddled them with. Real smooth, Northwest Airlines!

14. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What happens if I decide to bring a nice jar of Planters Peanuts on board?

Being a smoker that is REALLY trying to quit... lately I find peanuts a good nosh food...

What about those that bath themselves in perfume and the such? Or those who's hygiene is not up to "snuff"?

Some of these have even given me gasping for breath...

15. macrumors 65816

mickbab

Sorry Qantas, I'm allergic to chicken. Please don't serve it.

16. macrumors member

BreederCreature

My cousin is severely allergic to peanuts, to the point where if I had eaten peanuts within a couple hours of seeing him, he could have a reaction. He's also had reactions from peanut oil residue on tables.

I could see someone eating peanuts next to him on a plane being a huge problem, since it could more than likely kill him. I'd rather have a peanut-less plane ride than travel next to someone going through anaphylaxis.

17. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But again, (1) they make accommodations as necessary, even in airlines that do normally serve peanuts, and more importantly (2) systematic and widespread banning of peanuts, thereby eliminating early exposure to them, seems fairly likely to increase the likelihood of more children developing peanut allergies. So you care so much for your cousin's plight that you would subject more people to it, just to make a point?

18. macrumors 6502a

Cashews, forget peanuts serve cashews. Its a seed not a nut and it tastes better. :)

Actually my 2 year old is allergic and I'd worry about her finding some peanut that had fallen in the seat and eating it. You know toddlers are quick and don't always understand their actions. Sure an epi-pen can help but it is not designed to be a fix. It is a delay tactic until you can get to a hospital. Hard to get to a hospital fast at 30,000 ft.

Now if they would clean planes better then we might have another story. ;)

19. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm allergic to old people who either have a particular smell or make phlegm noises with their throat, passengers with children under the age of 2, obese people whose body spills into my space so that I don't have any elbow room, and people who insist on talking to me while the cabin crew turn down the lights so that people can sleep.

Unfortunately, there's no EpiPen for those allergic to life, so.......NW Airlines......you know what to do.

20. macrumors Core

iBlue

You too, huh? Uh oh. Make it so, airlines. You must please everyone, don't ya know?

21. macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I don't really see why this should be a big deal, is everyone so afraid of change? More and more people are becoming allergic to peanuts, no matter what they eat on a airplane.

There are alot of people in the community who are severely allergic to peanuts at the school to the point where if you have it and touch the door knob, they have a reaction.

I think I would live if I went an extra 4-8 hours without being served peanuts. But someone who is severely allergic may not.

22. macrumors 6502

What you're not getting is that by systematically overreacting to these allergies by banning peanuts from public space, we are causing more peanut allergies. The proper reaction is to be prepared to deal with allergies as they occur, and otherwise act normally.

23. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

24. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

To be fair you won't die of your "hyoglycemia".

The point is that some people are fatally allergic to peanuts. If most of the world were immune to anthrax but you were not, would you not object with them serving it on the plane you are riding?

arn

25. macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I don't understand how we're causing more peanut allergies by removing them from an airplane ride. A lot of the time what causes allergies is parents introducing foods to children/babies too soon.

What if someone were to have an anaphylactic reactions on the plane in a 4 hours flight? The epipen would give you an extra 15-30 minutes to arrive at a hospital, its not used to stop the reactions entirely. I don't know what kind of jet service you use but it normally takes a longer time just to land the plane and by then the person could have died. Personally I just think it makes more sense to ban the peanuts from a plane then not. Why take the risk? Plus it would be easier then having the load the cart and reload every time the attendants look at who is boarding, instead maybe they could spend their time cleaning between the seats