Customising OSX Menus

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joseph2166, May 25, 2006.

1. joseph2166 macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2006
    I was woundering if there's any program, freeware or shareware, which lets you customise the menus at the top of OSX? The reason I ask is 'cos there's loads of things I never use which would be nice to get rid of (e.g. the 'Mac OSX Software...' thing in the applemenu, or the 'cleanup' option in the 'view' menu.
    Any ideas anyone?
  2. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    There are several, like FRUITMENU among others. Check macupdate for one that suits your needs.
  3. joseph2166 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2006
    Yeh I'd found FruitMenu before but it can only change the applemenu as far as I can see. I was wanting to fully customize all the OSX menus. As for macupdate or or whatever the reason I asked here is because I couldn't find anything there easily.
  4. chrislee8 macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2004
    NY, NY
  5. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2006
    Download Shapeshifter, and get themes from
  6. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2004
    In the apple store, in front of a G5.
    If you have the developer tools installed, you can simply edit /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder/Contents/Resources/(Your Language).lproj/Menus.nib to remove menu options.

You'll need to be careful, and watch duplicate items closely. Not everything appears in the .nib file, and not everything in the .nib file appears in the menu.

If you take this route, you will need to use Terminal to copy the files back to the proper place. You should also back up any file you are going to edit.