Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think Apple should offer more customization options for the PowerBooks at the Apple online store. For example, all PowerBook models should have the same graphics cards available as BTO options, as well as having the backlit keyboard on the 12" as a BTO option (and the option of getting a 15" or 17" PowerBook WITHOUT the backlit keyboard). This would NOT change the products Apple offers at their retail stores, nor would it affect third-party retailers that sell Apple products.

My guess as to why Apple doesn't do this is because they want to differentiate their products from each other, which IMO is somewhat stupid and unlike the other PC makers.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
wrldwzrd89 said:
I think Apple should offer more customization options for the PowerBooks at the Apple online store. For example, all PowerBook models should have the same graphics cards available as BTO options, as well as having the backlit keyboard on the 12" as a BTO option (and the option of getting a 15" or 17" PowerBook WITHOUT the backlit keyboard). This would NOT change the products Apple offers at their retail stores, nor would it affect third-party retailers that sell Apple products.

My guess as to why Apple doesn't do this is because they want to differentiate their products from each other, which IMO is somewhat stupid and unlike the other PC makers.

I agree it would be great to have a more powerful 12" model. Watching the threads here, there are a good number of us that would like to have more in the PB 12".

There may be a space issue on the backlit keyboard for the 12". And a profit issue to drive customers to the 15" and 17" over the 12".

The question is would people be happy seeing an increase in the base pricing of the 12" to make it happen?

mrviga

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2004
Money, its all about money. The 15 and 17 inch models have a higher profit margin, so Apple will try to make those the most appealing. The backlit keyboard has been attributed to a space issue inthe past, but come on...this is Apple we're talking here, not just anybody. If they wanted it to work, it would work. I am an engineer in the automotive industry, and I know that there is no such thing as impossible, I've solved the impossible before. Adding in a $5.00 backlight in the 15" makes the thing much more appealing, and the only way to get it is to go with the higher up 1.5Ghz version, which will cost you more money, which will in turn make Apple more money. Its all about money...money money money.
:p

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
There may well be good reasons that you cannot have a 128Mb 9700Pro Mobility in a 12" PB. These chips (and the RAM chips that go with them) generate a lot more heat than those currently in the 12". The heat has to go somewhere. The keyboard is the same. The 15" and 17" have much more volume so the fibre optic routing and so on can take up the space. In a 12" this is simply a lot less space.

Ajmbc

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
Louisiana
robbieduncan said:
There may well be good reasons that you cannot have a 128Mb 9700Pro Mobility in a 12" PB. These chips (and the RAM chips that go with them) generate a lot more heat than those currently in the 12". The heat has to go somewhere. The keyboard is the same. The 15" and 17" have much more volume so the fibre optic routing and so on can take up the space. In a 12" this is simply a lot less space.

Seeing the powerbook's backlit keyboard before, it is definitely not much bigger. It has a black film on the bottom that holds all of the optics, so they don't have to route through the case. The only thing that that takes up space are the light sensor boards (and they aren't that big either)

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
robbieduncan said:

While we all know that Apple has a tendency to "dumb-down" its lower models, I feel there is a lot of validity in this (quoted) statement. Apple has finely engineered each computer to be able to tolerate what it's intended to, adding options from other machines might just mess up some of the engineering Apple went through.

hello world

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
michaelrjohnson said:
Apple has finely engineered each computer to be able to tolerate what it's intended to, adding options from other machines might just mess up some of the engineering Apple went through.

I agree.

And given how hot the 12" gets, I tend to think they've squeezed just about all they could into it.

I don't understand the appeal of the backlit keyboard. I never look at my keyboard. I do like the idea of the screen brightness adjusting by an ambient sensor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.