customization at Apple store and other questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tjevans, Jan 22, 2006.

1. tjevans macrumors member

tjevans

Hi, everyone. I'm planning to make the switch from PC to Mac in a few months. I found out a city where I was planning to vacation in a couple of months has an Apple store. Are they able to do any customization of a system there? In other words, if I want to buy an iMac, do I have to buy it "off the shelf," or are they able to upgrade the hard drive, memory, etc. there?

Next question . . . the two most memory and graphic intensive things I usually do are editing photos and videos. When I say editing, I don't mean photoshop . . . I just want to be able to crop the photo and get rid of red eye. For videos, I just want to be able to plug in my mini-dv camcorder, "cut" the video, and burn to a dvd. Do you think 1 gb of RAM, and the 128mb video card would suffice, or do you think I should upgrade even more?

Finally, is there a backup application included on the iMac that is capable of spanning multiple dvd's? (Please don't advise me to subscribe to .mac; I'm not interested in that).

Thanks for your advice.

Tim

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The memory you outline will work. If you find things are too slow for you then upgrade the RAM. Personally I think you will be fine.

There is no backup app included. You must supply your own. .Mac does come with a backup app but it is really not very good! SuperDuper! (which I use) and Carbon Copy Cloner are probably the most recommended backup apps on these forums.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Sorry, outta luck. If you want such customizations, you'd have to BTO (build to order) via the online Apple store.
    As for backing up software, I'll leave that to others. But for an app that allows you to burn spanning multiple disks? I think you'd do well purchasing Toast 7.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I know Apple stores will do memory upgrades for the iMac.....but that's it

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

The Apple Store should have different variations of the iMac available. here in Chicago, they told me they had the 20" one with the upgraded 256MB video card and 1GB RAM ready to go. They also said they could upgrade RAM but not hard drives, you'd have to order online for that. I ended up getting it online anyways, because they could only do 2x512MB for a 1GB upgrade in the store, they didn't know when they would be getting new 1GB chips in.

6. brisully macrumors member

Looks like it doesn't void the warranty.....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86812

7. 66217 Guest

Are the 1.83 Ghz in the Apple Store onle available with 512mb of Ram?

Can you use the student discount via the online Apple Store?

8. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

You're asking if you can only get 512MB with your computer on the online store? No, you can upgrade up to 2GB if you want, Apple just charges a lot for extra RAM. And yes, you can use the student discount online. Just click on education pricing on the upper right hand corner of the store, and choose your school.

9. 66217 Guest

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was the Apple Store -in malls, etc.- (not the online one).

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

1) the Apple retail stores will add more RAM if you want to buy it from them
    2) Apple has an online "education" store for those who qualify for the student discount

11. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I would call the store ahead of time to make sure you can get the RAM you want, though. They will install it in store (they can't upgrade HD's in store, but that's about it), but sometimes they only have 512MB chips instead of 1GB. That's why I ended up buying online instead of at the store, because they could only do 2x512MB at the time, they were out of the 1GB. So call to be sure.