Customization of Aqua: Skinning OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by modestmelody, May 23, 2005.

1. modestmelody macrumors newbie

Long Island, New York / Providence, Rhode Island
    I am soon to make the "switch" (halfway, building a PC desktop and purchasing a Powerbook for college). Anyway, on Windows I have always been a stickler for customization, skinning, etc. For instance, right now I have no taskbar or icons on my desktop, I just have ObjectDock, a dock emulator for Windows. All my Windows and colors are themed as well. Is there anyway to have this kind of control over the OSX interface? I happen to love the interface as it is, however, I am a tinker at heart...

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Yep, you can customize almost anything on OS X, and most of it is easier then on windows.

3. modestmelody thread starter macrumors newbie

So...

How's it done? Element at a time? Are there programs that are well known to aid in skinning (like Style XP etc)?

I am actually totally in the dark on this one. The closest thing I found in my quick search was a program called Kaleidoscope but it appears to only support OS9 and was abandoned when OSX came out.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

5. iBunny macrumors 65816

I like Candy Bar. Would it run good on a 1.33Ghz iBook 768MB of ram? or would it significantly hog resources?

6. CiBoys macrumors regular

CiBoys

This is what i did to mine... :)

Attached Files:

7. modestmelody thread starter macrumors newbie

Very nice. That's the exact kind of thing I was talking about. Cool to know I have the options still. Is there anyway to get rid of the "bar" across the top? I don't like the white menu bar always being there, but I can/will deal with it if it cannot be hidden in anyway.

8. modestmelody thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks good. Here is my Windows desktop at current... (the icon isn't normally there):
    [​IMG]

Photobucket made it smaller. I have two 17" LCDs at 1280x1024 that that spans...

9. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

The menubar can't be removed; however, perhaps some themes will make it more bearable for you.

10. modestmelody thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was hoping. One of those JetBlack themes look like it may help...

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Unless some hack were to make the menu bar slide in and out like the dock or like the Win start bar set to hide, I don't think that'd be a great idea anyway. A Mac will not be overly pleasant to use without the menu bar....

To the earlier poster who asked about candybar -- I don't think it's a resource hog once you make the modifications. I think for most of its mods, it just replaces .png files that are hidden here and there amongst the system files....

12. modestmelody thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I've used Apple computers enough to know that part. It's just that the damn thing is so ugly sticking up at the top. I am a minmalist. I like blank desktops, very few things other than what I am focusing on should be on the screen. What is on the screen should be pretty. I was just hoping for a hack to make it hide, or even to change the white to being transparent so it's just the text.

13. whiteangel macrumors regular

If you want to make the menu less visible you can try this. See if you like it.

Menushade

14. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, this works really well. You can have the whole menu bar disappear until you move your cursor over it.

I also recommend Unsanity's ShapeShifter. I've been using it for over a year and have never had a problem. Works very well.

15. mscnln macrumors newbie

Sounds like you'd be a perfect match for fluxbox. Windows and OS X aren't the only choices you know :)

16. Sogo macrumors 6502

I wish icons could work like buttons. What i want/mean is to have the icon apear when i roll over and disaprear when i roll out of the icon; like buttons. But hey thats just me.

17. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Did you "Plastic" all your Brushed Metal apps?

18. modestmelody thread starter macrumors newbie

What the heck is Fluxbox? I am far too lazy to Google it. Menushader looks nice. Thanks for all the help guys.

19. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

It is a window manager for the Linux Operating System.

Here

Mike

20. dirtymatt macrumors member

Theme Changer's last release was October of 2003, and the mailing list is quite dead. I'm going to say it hasn't been updated for Tiger and is a dead project.