Customize keys on non-Pro keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by coolbreeze, Mar 18, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

My Pro keyboard is dead after spilling water on it...so I am faced with paying $65 for a new one or using my (not so bad) MS Natural Pro keyboard. My question is this:

Is it possible to customize keys with OSX, i.e. designate a button for "eject" and "volume," etc?

I don't even know how to open my disc drive now, other than a difficult way such as thru iTunes, etc.

Please help!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Dude, Eject is F12. Also there is a menu addition in the Library folder that puts an eject menu on the menu bar next to the clock.

Also, On M$'s
    Mactopia website has a download section, where you can download drivers for the M$ mice and keyboards.

Just click on downloads, scroll down to IntelliType Pro driver for Macintosh and answer the question in the matrix (Type of keyboard, OS, language) The drivers should allow you to set the behavior of the different keys on the M$ Keyboard for Mac Specific keys.

TEG

3. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks a bunch. Guess I should have known all of this already. It is actually a little easier to use than the Apple Pro. The hotkeys along the top work great for shortcuts.