customized 2.7 PM...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by johnny41, Jul 27, 2005.

1. johnny41 macrumors newbie

I decide not to buy 2.3 Power mac and go ahead with 2.7. I'll be using new computer for web/graphic design and expand into video editing in a few months. I can't decide which option below I should get. I'm lending toward option one since it cost less and I already own a 250gb external Mercury HD. So I can save a bundle moola and upgrade PM in future if necessary.

Option 2 only cost about 400 bucks more than option 1, but will save about 100-300 bucks compare to apple.com and others retailers and may not necessary to upgrade the hardware in future as option 1 may. I could use some advice/suggestion to decide which one to buy, or suggest different retailer that sell customized pm less than B&H offers...

Option 1

Option 2

Jace

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Optional In-house Memory Installation and Testing - Select this if you want B&H to Install RAM when Buying Additional Memory - Delivery is Delayed 1-3 Days

B&H# BHINSTALL1
    Price: $ 29.95

NO! If you can figure out how to turn on the G5, you can figure out how to install RAM. That $30 you're paying them is a rip off. It will take them around 3 minutes (not exaggerating) to install the RAM.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The 6800 Ultra Graphics card will be very useful with your media work. Especially necessary should you decide on a 30" LCD. A wise choice in deciding to purchase AppleCare.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Don't pay all that extra money for the drive - it's a five minute operation and you can get a drive cheap at www.macsales.com....do get the bluetooth and airport, though.

I haven't had and of the said problems with the 9650, but I don't do video, I do digital images.

Why not get this from Apple.com?

5. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

I would lean towards option 1, you can most likely update the video card later for alot less than ~$400. Isn't Nvidia coming out with a new card soon? the 6800's will become alot less expensive when they update. Try out the 9650 card for awhile, it might suit your needs just fine and I think it will run the 30" monitor as well. Spend the extra money on more ram.

good luck

p.s I'm Jealous!

bill

6. johnny41 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with you, I forgot to mention that I'm buying RAM from Crucial or DMS and install them myself. I think I'll stick with option 1 features, will check around for one more time to see if any retailer offer same features that cost less than B&H.

If I buy Final Cut Studio with PM from B&H, it saves me about 200 bucks compare to apple.com.

Jace