Customizing Mac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by speedemonV12, Nov 30, 2005.

1. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone...im making the switch to Apple right now. But one thing that i was wondering is are there any really good themeing sites for Mac. I used to customize every aspect of my windows, and there are tons of sites for it, Deviantart, wincustomize, neowin.net, there are a ton. But i have been searching for Mac themes, and customizations, and i have had a tough time finding any. Was wondering if anyone knew of some good site for that. The one that i know of is Macthemes, but there have got to be a ton more out there somewhere. So just post up!

2. hookahco macrumors regular

resexcellence.com
    everything you need to know about mac software mods......
    actually, i discovered MR through that site. dont ask me how...

3. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

wow great site...thanks...anyone know of some more?...or maybe like a forum for customization, like at Neowin.net?

4. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Whatever you do don't use any HAxies like Shapeshifter.

6. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

really? i heard that shapeshifter was good? From what i have seen, that is the only way to change themes, and i know nothing about it....but it also looks like there are many more themes for shapeshifter than for anything else....i mihgt just not know where to look...but.....

7. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

y not?

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Haxies like to make a lot of system.ui (user interface) and permission changes that they shouldn't, often slowing your performance a great deal. Don't do it. I'd use Candybar to change icons, but that's it.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you're about to switch or have just switched, I suggest that you get used to the other changes in OS X and use it as is for a few months. Once you're comfortable with the basics, go for all the customization you want. As noted above, a lot of these customizations are done at a very low level in the window server and can cause all sorts of stability issues. Since you're a switcher, if your cusomizations start causing problems, you're more likely to blame it on OS X than you are on haxies.