Customizing you Mac on apple.com?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JMies419, Aug 26, 2006.

1. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,

I am pretty new around here and absolutly 100% new to Apple computers. I have been browsing around the forum and noticed that a lot of people seem to have factory stock set ups on there macbooks and macbook pros. What I mean is..2.0GHz, 512 , 80g for example. I am going to be purchasing either a Macbook or a Macbook Pro..have not decided yet, and I was wondering what the Pro's and Con's of customizing the computer before buying it from Apples website?

Thanks!!

2. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Do you mean having apple do the upgrades of RAM and HD and what not?

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Pros-

Get it the way you want..
    Apple installs Ram, HD, etc so it doesn't void warranty
    You don't have to worry about upgrading yourself

Cons-

Much More Limited Return Policy

---------

Sorry, that is about the best I can do. One thing to not is that they do have a much more limited return policy, I think it is only DOA. Might look into that..

Hope This Helps, Kevin

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Pros of customizing: You get exactly what you want and don't have to open up your computer to do an initial upgrade if you say need more ram. Also, a few things you can downgrade if you don't want to spend the money on it.

Cons of customizing: Cannot pick it up same day in store and often takes longer to ship than a stock computer. You cannot return it if you change your mind for a full refund.

5. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Pros: what everyone else said

Cons: Apple premium...

I'm buying my MBP with stock Ram and then Upgrading myself... Sucks to do but 300 big ones... thats a nice priced HD...

6. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

A major con is that it is usually VERY expensive for RAM. That and some upgrades are not availible, such as a 160GB drive in the laptops and 750GB drive in the desktops.