Customizing your iBook What have you done?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Cross, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Cross macrumors regular

Well I noticed we don't really have a Modding section here so I guess this is the section for it.

I have OC'd TiBooks but as for iBooks I have seen some painting and one keyboard swap.

I had an extra TiBook Keyboard but only the esc - F12 Keys and Arrow keys fit.

There was a member here who had done his so if you could tell me what keys you have used. Or what others have used.

Also for anyone who has pulled theres apart to paint or mod the cooling etc lets share what you have done.

I am happy to do this on the G4 Ti DVI models if anyone wants.

Lets have some unwarranted fun :p

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I'd be up for some modification if it still wasn't under warranty!

3. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I want to mod my G3 iBook somehow but I'm totally at a loss I want to clear the case so you can see the internals but I haven't found any instructions.

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Take off the case, and just use rubbing alcohol and elbow grease to get it out.

Anything more would probably melt the plastic.

I've done it before. :)

5. Cross thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot I still have apple care... but I doubt they would say anything for me using the keys from another keyboard.

My painting idea will have to wait but the rest should be fine.

I want to change the color of the apple to.... but I think that might attract atten. however if I could switch it back if I need to then it should be just fine.

But I would like to know if there has been anyone who has tried OCing the iBook G4's

So wait using rubbing alcohol you can remove the white paint huh... hmmm....

6. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

So any rubbing alcohol would work, and what do I use cotton balls or just like a cloth?

Does this work on everything on the case, bottom, top, LCD etc?

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

yeah.. it's all clear painted plastic from the inside. Use a toothbrush and put the thing in a shallow pan of rubbing alcohol. You can get a whole bottle for like 76¢. Let it soak for a little while before attacking it.. and rinse off the case every once in a while; get all the excess off.

It's hell on your hands, so be sure to moisturize. :)

8. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Should I just pour some in, let it sit, then go at it with the toothbrush or what?

Sorry mac "modding" n00b.

Also, real men don't moisturize ;) haha.

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Smart ones wear rubber gloves :cool:

10. Cross thread starter macrumors regular

I would think letting rubbing alcohol sit in the plastic would be a bad idea but the I have never tried it and it is in a plastic container... the real question is will it cause it to discolor or warp?

The other would be just how much would it piss off apple to do this lol

11. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Well when your G3 just had the logic board replaced by Apple and is only covered under warranty for 90 days after that I don't think it'll matter too much to them ;).

I think I have a spare lid from an old 800MHz G3 I can try the rubbing alcohol on first :).

12. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Never modded my (still under warranty) iBook, but after my dad's old TiBook's screen was ruined (trying to fix a bad hinge) he gave it to me. I took the hinges off, took out the video cable cleaned it up a bit, and was left with a working headless Powerbook G4. In fact, the defective hinge design looked so clean that it looked as if it it was designed to look good screenless. The keyboard and trackpad worked fine, and it still worked with an external monitor (and S-video out), so it became my portable media computer. Truly a cool machine until it died last summer.

13. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Didn't happen to mine.. by letting it sit, I mean give it like 10 minutes, not 3 days..

Yup.
    :rolleyes:

Enjoy your out-of-control cuticles!!

14. Cross thread starter macrumors regular

*Shrug* then why not. I guess I know what I am doing tomorrow lol. But I have Apple care... why do I think this could oh who cares. I will just buy a case bottom and top just in case I have to send it in :p

Now a question for you. If you have done it I would like to see the results before I do it. Because I personally like black and have black auto paint thats made to withstand high temps. Thats what I was going to use unless the clear looked really nice.

I also have like 468 days of Apple care left... so I am not sure what to think yet.

15. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I think I'll clear my cases, and clear the letters off my keyboard.

Just doing some more research before hand, somebody told me to use Lava Soap on the case instead of Alcohol and it would work the same.

But like I said earlier, I'm gonna look for a spare lid to see what works for clearing paint.

16. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

So far I have just changed my Apple .. Needed something a little OldSkool. :cool:

Kevin

Attached Files:

17. Cross thread starter macrumors regular

18. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

19. Cross thread starter macrumors regular

Heres some pics and a guide for you. This was done with sand paper and painted like a Powerbook G4.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/ibook_mods/ibook_paint_mod.html

Personally I think Black is going to be my color maybe clear as it does look good..... hmmm

Here is an indepth guide for the original G3 USB I think this G4's are different.

http://www.macmerc.com/articles/Road_Warrior_Wednesday/143

This one reminded me there is something I did not think of:

http://norum.homeunix.net/~carl/mods/paint/

The Battery. But I think since I have already mixed my Keyboard with Black and White Keys the White battery and the rest in black may just look perfect.... or it may look tacky and I will take on painting it then.

This is a Guide on Dying your iBook... wish the pics worked.

http://www.applefritter.com/node/6808

However it talks about a very important point I need covered and I am searching on now:
    The newer iBooks are not painted on the inside of the plastic lid, etc. Is this true? Who has painted a iBook G4? I have a G4 14" 1.33Ghz.

Here is one at Mac Mod Forums:

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/255/1/

20. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Cross, you're always into modding aren't you? If and when you get this done, feel free to drop in some pictures to show us your hard work!

21. Cross thread starter macrumors regular

I am pulling the back cover off now lol. I will take some pics now and keep things going using the iMac lol.

Maybe I should think about painting it lol.

I like its chrome mac symbol better.... damn now thats an idea with its symbols... no I have to leave that alone lol

Ok time to finish removing the cover the iBook is now being shut down!

22. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Well it seems I'll be monitoring this thread in order to take a gander at the results. Good luck Cross.

23. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Same, that way he can give pointers/tips/warnings - good thing I'm in a timezone where most sane people arn't modding iBooks at 2AM and it'll be another 8 hours before I even take my back cover off :).

24. Cross thread starter macrumors regular

Well the good news is I am uploading pics and changing the color of the Mac Logo is easy as switching a piece of paper.

The bad news is this is not a painted cover.

Its def Plastic Dye so I am not sure if I should try the dying option above or what but painting it just got a whole lot harder......

It def appears to be unpainted as there are marks in the plastic from the maker that you can not see in the cover.

So its back to finding a guide that either notices this or finding a 14" Cover from an older iBook before I can do this mod.

Hey its only 10:54 PM here :p

25. Cross thread starter macrumors regular

So after some thought it becomes clear that the only way to paint this is with a clear coat on the top... which means I should just paint it when I paint my car this weekend or the next.

Damn I hate that. I would pref to find an iBook G3 14" cover and just use that I am just not sure if the cases are sim enough for that to work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I was just thinking of using a piece of one of my Static Bags for the color on the Mac Logo.... hmm I will have pics up in less then 30 min ^-^