Cut and paste folders and files: How?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hdsalinas, Mar 20, 2007.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi I have been using amac for about a few months now and I love it. I do however have a question. In windows I was able tu cut folders and files when using windows explorer and then pste them where ever I wanted. In finder the cut comand doest work.

I sometimes want to move a folder or file to a different place and I am only able to do it dragging the icon.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The cut command is not available in order to protect you from accidentally losing files by cutting them and not pasting. You need to copy and paste and then delete the original.

Or, I believe if you drag and drop with a certain key pressed (cant remember the key) then this will activate cut and paste.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Do you have spring-loaded folders turned on? This generally makes dragging folder to a new location very easy.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

This varies. If you are dragging the file to the same drive, it is a move. If it is a different drive, it is a copy (and a small green + sign will appear). To alter this behavior, hold the Command key.

5. MacAnkka macrumors regular

That doesn't make any sense. Every other major OS performs the "cut" command by first copying the file. Only after the file is pasted, is the original file destroyed. If the cut file isn't pasted, nothing happens to the original file. I'm sure Apple has programmers capable of doing a similiar thing.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

You can't actually "Cut and Paste" on OS X the way you can on Windows. There's a contextual menu item I use to do this called FileCutter.

Like a poster above me said, if you drag-and-drop, the default action is to move if you're on the same drive and copy if you're not (or if you don't have write permission to the folder from which you're dragging).

7. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

How about selecting several files in a row?

For example, in windows if I click on one file and then shift select a another one all the files in between get selected. In mac OS is one or all. Yes, I know that I can command select each file that I want but you hace to select each file.

Is there a command similar to shift and select?

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Shift-click does select all files between the two you've clicked. And as you pointed out, command-click allows you to pick and choose.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The Cut command is the only thing I miss from Windows. Apple really needs to add this.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

* except when you're in Icon view. ;)

11. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

True, and I always use the icon view.

Any way around it?

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Kinda. You can select multiple, contiguous files in icon view by clicking (outside of an icon) and dragging to create a selection box around those icons. Try it! :)

13. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Keep in mind that while you are in list and column modes, you can also hold down command and drag to get several clusters of files at a time (just make sure you don't start the drag over an icon or you'll end up moving that file).

Edit: Works in Icon view too.

14. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

yes i can do that but I always end up selecting files that I did not want that where on the way.

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Please elaborate.

16. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Thanks, I did not know that. I just tried it and works as advertised.

Most of the little things that annoy me from the mac OS, get solved though this forum. Thanks, I learn something new today.

By far I rather use a mac!

17. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Keep in mind also that if you've accidentally selected one (or more) items in a bunch of items, you can keep the command key held down and just drag a small marquee around just that item to deselect it (again remembering not to start the drag on the icon).

18. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Quicksilver has a Move To... command it is so much faster than cut and paste or drag and drop (you don't even need a mouse).