Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Hi,

i'm still trying to get used to mac, and although the usual copy and paste shortcuts are simple enough (apple key and c or v), the cut shortcut doesnt work . i've read it's supposed to be command (apple key) and x, basically like windows, but it never works for me:confused: how can i solve this?

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Yes it is just as you have said, however Finder does not allow you to cut.
This is to save you from cutting, forgetting about it, and then copying something else, losing that original file.
It works on other apps though.

::20ROGERSC::

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It's not available in Finder as a precaution against stuff-ups.

Drag and drop is there instead.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Chundles said:
It's not available in Finder as a precaution against stuff-ups.

Drag and drop is there instead.

Only thing that's annoying me is when I have items on the desktop that i want to put in a folder, i have to copy it, navigate to the folder i want to put it in, paste, then delete the original file. Is there any way of enabling command + X in finder, via folder actions or something ?:confused: I really have no idea, this is my first mac

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Just drag and drop it in the folder you want.
Nothing then to delete, and you're navigating like you would when cutting/pasting anyway.

::20ROGERSC::

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Osarkon said:
Only thing that's annoying me is when I have items on the desktop that i want to put in a folder, i have to copy it, navigate to the folder i want to put it in, paste, then delete the original file. Is there any way of enabling command + X in finder, via folder actions or something ?:confused: I really have no idea, this is my first mac

Just drag and drop them into the folder you're after. No copying or pasting, just drag and drop.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
No cut in finder is one thing I miss about Windows. Apple could easily protect against accidentaly deleting files....when you cut, the file isn't actually removed from its old location until you paste it somewhere else.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
aha, cheers. think that's pretty much the only thing i'm missing since switching as well. I can learn to live with it :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Osarkon said:

Drag and dropping becomes much more useful with spring-loaded folders... you can move stuff layers deep quite easily that way. Make sure that spring-loaded folders are enabled in Finder's preferences and then just hold the dragged item over any folder (e.g. home folder in sidebar) for a few seconds to start the process. The folder isn't copied to its location until you let go.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Blue Velvet said:
Drag and dropping becomes much more useful with spring-loaded folders... you can move stuff layers deep quite easily that way. Make sure that spring-loaded folders are enabled in Finder's preferences and then just hold the dragged item over any folder (e.g. home folder in sidebar) for a few seconds to start the process. The folder isn't copied to its location until you let go.

Here's a way to make it quicker- when you are hovering over a folder with an item in hand, force the folder to spring open instantly by hitting the space bar. Speeds things up a bit.

joaomario

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
SOLUTION*****

a shortcut to cut and paste on the Mac is:
command+C to copy and then in destination alt+cmd+v to paste.
the document will be moved to the new location, not duplicated.
this applies to when dealing with files, when using word docs or internet cmd+x and cmd+v will cut and paste.

ssshake

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2015
SOLUTION*****

this applies to when dealing with files, when using word docs or internet cmd+x and cmd+v will cut and paste.

***** macs.. I'm a long time linux fan and a reluctant windows user. I got a macbook through work and I triple boot between the three os's. I only recently started using OSX as my full time OS and I gotta say for a developer's workstation it is such a much nicer OS than windows. The only thing thats driving me nuts is the goofy file and process management.

Although I still like linux better, a lot of my development tools only work on windows and mac. So OSX gives me a nice desktop and a very competent command line. But what drives me nuts is some of this idiot proofing. I wish there was a switch you could flip to take it out of baby mode.

I don't think ive ever used a file manager that didnt have the concept of cutting files. The "drag and drop" solution people keep saying I'm sure is great for the sort of people who would visually open up the source and destination and visually see the file move from one window to another. For the rest of us, we navigate our file system using one window, which is why cut/paste is a must. Nice to see that it can be done with this keyboard shortcut but I wish it was a little more intuitive.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi,

i'm still trying to get used to mac, and although the usual copy and paste shortcuts are simple enough (apple key and c or v), the cut shortcut doesnt work . i've read it's supposed to be command (apple key) and x, basically like windows, but it never works for me:confused: how can i solve this?

Install this if you want to learn all the app shortcuts:
http://www.mediaatelier.com/CheatSheet/

Awesome app....

GeoFan49

macrumors member
SOLUTION*****

this applies to when dealing with files,

when using word docs or internet cmd+x and cmd+v will cut and paste.

This entire discussion about spring-loaded folders and the option+command-v trick is very revealing and a good refresher course on some nitty gritty Mac OS X stuff. +1 for all the helpful notes. Points clicked!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.