CuteFTP for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Euan, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Euan macrumors regular

I've just bought a iMac and need some good FTP software.

I used CuteFTP Pro on my PC and was planning on getting the Mac version.

Has anyone used it and if so what are your thoughts? Would you recommend it or are there better options out-there. I don't mind paying.

I don't use advance features - I only really use it for transferring files.

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I use automator. I have created an app that just requires me to select the files i want and off they go.

For more advanced stuff I use Transmit

http://www.panic.com/transmit/

3. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - I'll look at both.

Which would you recommend?

I like the GUI in CuteFTP where I just drap the files I want to copy from the left side (My PC) to the right side (My Server). This would be a feature I would like in a new FTP package.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Id recommend Transmit.

The automator app i made is just because Im lazy. All i have to do is double click the icon, it asks what i want to upload and I hit send. Its simple but you cant remove stuff from the server with it or anything else. Just upload.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I use Transmit myself, well worth the $29.95. :)

But if you're looking for a free alternative, try Cyberduck. That's my backup s/ftp client.

6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Transmit here as well; very Mac-like, has a widget which I use frequently, the guys at Panic are very helpful.

7. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for those recommendations folks. I don't mind paying $30 so I'll take a look at it and probably purchase this evening.

8. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I actually used cuteFTP and like 5 other things before finally finding what I wanted in FireFTP. And as a bonus, it is right inside my Firefox browser.

9. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

An app thats pretty basic, but free is Cyber-Duck. Used to use it all the time, and I believe its now Universal.

Its also free!! :D

10. cwong5 macrumors newbie

re-think Cyberduck

I am not here to bash Cyberduck... in fact, it's still the sole FTP client on my Mac. And yes, it is universal. However, Cyberduck crashed on me on more than a few occassion. Love the Drag and Drop functionality. I find the gui a bit clunky. (Things dont' always need to be THAT big). It doesn't have multi-session transfer. I am looking for an alternative too.

11. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

Good to hear of a few other suggestions.

I'll take a look at most of them over the next few days if they have free trials/downloads.

I guess what it comes down to it which provides the easiest interface for me to work with.

It's also a learning experience for me on the Mac given it's my first experience with OS X.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've tried cyberduck and Transmit. went with Transmit because its more stable, easier to use and has a better gui.

13. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I think Transmit seems to be the 1st one I will try and it's the same price as CuteFTP for Mac.

If I don't like it I might just go with CuteFTP as I know the structure, etc.

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Cyberduck is what I use. It is really great and is free.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/

16. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I have been using CyberDuck for well over a year. Since I've been so happy with its performance, I made a donation to the cause!

17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, version 2.6 was very unstable... that was what made me try Transmit in the first place... though it seems Cyberduck has fixed most (if not all of those) issues with 2.6.1 and later 2.6.2. It's been a while since it crashed, now... :)

18. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

Set up Transmit and I like it so far. Got all my sites set up so I can access them all. Will probably stick with it to be honest.

19. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I ftp a lot and have used most apps. Transmit is the best IMO. Interarchy is pretty good as well. I recommend cyberduck to those who don't FTP often as it's free and very simple in nature.

20. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

A lot of people consider Transmit to be the best FTP app on any platform. I tend to agree.

21. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

Yep so far so good and I'll probably get the $30 license this weekend.

Thanks for all your recommendations.

22. Apple2Mac macrumors regular

Apple2Mac

CuteFTP has more features, That I like, but Transmit is more Mac like. since your used to CuteFTP I would just stick with it... But I would recomend all new FTP users to use Transmit.

23. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Transmit does iDisk far better than the finder.

It lets you open a file in any application, and the preferences let you set up how you want particular file types opened.

It's very good and they release regular updates which make it better.

24. Euan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion.

Having looked at transit I've been quickly able to find the 2/3 things that I used CuteFTP for :)

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

CuteFTP should be a good application and the price is good but it has a fatal flaw that I found. In a mixed group of files, it ends up uploading everything as text, so my photo gallery was unusable. If it's only working with binary files, it's fine but that's pretty basic functionality.

Cyberduck works just fine and it's free, though it reminds you to donate. The developer seems to continue to add features at a decent pace.