Cutlery...

Discussion in 'Community' started by AlphaTech, Jun 24, 2002.

1. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Just wondering what the other MR members use for cutlery, for those of us that actually know how to cook that is. Boiling up hot dogs and cooking some beans (from a can) does NOT count.

Personally, I won't purchase anything other then the J.A. Henckels Professional "S" line of knives. Full tang construction with three rivits beats the stick tang construction of other knives hands down. I also will NOT purchase blades that 'never needs sharpening'. I only have three blades [for now] which are a 4" paring, 8" chef, and the 10" carver that I picked up on the way home today. I also have a honeing steel that I use to keep the edges like razor blades and a meat fork that comes in handy very often.

I fully expect the knives to outlast me, which is why I don't mind spending the money for them. Considering how the one I picked up today was just over $90.

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i use some mexican crap. 90 bucks on a knife.... good gosh yo! you the man.

3. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I go for quality... Another reason to buy a Harley and/or a Mac... :D

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah dude i hear ya. i usually just slop some hellafied protein and a few carbs together and down that motha like a madman. my girl takes care of all the real food creations. i may just go buy myself a 90 buck knife...it would help because im always firing up the grill...cutting steaks, chicken, roast, turkey, fajitas, brisket etc. etc.

5. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

he he he... I just cant stop!!!!

Harleys DON't equal quality. I have to disagree with you on that one. Other than everyone's general knowledge, I'll back this one up with fact...my dad has owned several. Even with his 1970's bikes, he would consistantly have problems with them, and more recently with his 1996 883 Sportster, shavings from the tranny got up into the cylinder and he had to rebuild the whole damn engine. He then promptly sold it for more than he paid for it, (people are dumb) and bought a Honda Magna (which I loved) and then a Valkyre. That sixer in the Valkyre kicks some major ass. It even whupped a "customized" dynaglide that his friend had. Never a problem with either bike except a certain dumb kid breaking off the mirror trying to move it out of the garage.

And i wish that I could afford good cutlery. My dad got me a really nice carving knife, and it rocks. But a nice set would be great.

Before you reply...don't forget that this is an opinion... and not a personal attack. Please don't fly off the handle on me, ok? Sometimes there's nothing like the sound of an american vtwin with straight pipes.

-Pete

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

frekin harley owns the copyright on that hellafied sound man!

alpha tech....or whoever wants to respond... why are american vehicles not that realiable? am i wrong? why? it seems that most foreign rides are more reliable. as in cars... toyota cars last forever so to speak. i plan on going over 300,000 miles without an engine rebuild ....thats average for my car. frekin fords and dodge vehicles usually break down around 130,000. whats up with that? but this may be different with bikes... i dont know.

7. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You better just run ptrauber... :p

I wouldn't purchase a sportster and your father should have his head checked for buying a girls motorcycle. Full size Harley's or nothing at all. I have a friend that is in Florida with an 80's model Low Rider that has had zero issues with it. He is happy as all hell in fact. I know someone else from work that has a 2000 Fat Boy that loves it, also with zero issues with it. My 2002 Softail Standard has zero issues with it... :p See a pattern yet Bubba?? Also, my uncle has a 97 or 98 Heritage Softail that has zero issues... I would have heard about ANY since I talked with all of them before getting MY Harley.

Proper maintenance is the key to keeping ANY vehicle in proper working order and eliminating the possibility of issues happening.

Bottom line, Harley's DO equate to quality (do NOT count the AMF years, or you will have to run AND hide from me).

8. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I had a 78 Fairmont with a 302 V8 inside of it that went just over 175,000 miles on it before I got rid of it. It was abused for the first 60,000 miles (one or two oil changes in that amount of time) by my uncle (he is in CA, NOT the one that owns the Harley). After we got it, it ran like a trooper, with great big balls... Hit the gas, and you were gone... the advantage of a large engine in a light body.

I fully expect my truck to go over 200,000 miles... since I have nothing to indicate it won't. With the correct engine/power to weight ratio, the vehicle will last a long time.

BTW, my uncle (the one that owns the Harley and lives in Maine) has Fords go over 200,000 miles before he trades them in for a newer model. Either that or he sells them to one of his son's, who then drive them for several more years. Proper maintenance is the key here.

9. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you have to ask then you need to read up on the history of Harley... I am about to head to bed, and don't have the time to explain it to you. Just like if you have to ask why own a Harley, you wouldn't understand my answer. :p :D

10. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay alpha i see your gettin conversation hits from us two. i will just sit back and let you deal with ptrauber....since im sure you focused on him.:D
    dont want to get in the way. im intrested on how this is conversation is going to turn out.

11. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Harley was bought by AMF for a few horrible years where everything went to ****. EVERYTHING!! Those bikes were absolutely horrible. Hey Alpha, was AMF owned by CBS? Or am I thinking of something else?

Ok, the 883 was a small bike, not a girls bike, but small. You can't say too much about the 1300cc valkyre though...that's a powerful bike. Almost as cool as the VTX 1800.

I just can't get over how it took Harley so long to get to overhead cams. Jap bikes have been using them for years, and the gains are so very obvious!! More power, less moving parts. Sounds easy to me. This is the same reason I don't like the Camaro or Mustang engines. They pack some serious punch, but with some real engineering, they both could put out 50-100 more hp each.

-Pete

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

oaky. ive never asked anyone why own a harley? or did i? im getting old.

dig it.

13. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

how much hp do you get on a jap car with some serious engineering?

i would love to get a supra and spend a lot of money on performance mods on it. it takes a any basic performance mod and boost its average hp gain by leaps and bounds. if i play it right i can get a toyota supra up to 900 hp. it would have to be twin turbo though.

14. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The 883 sportsters ARE considered woman's bikes, or for young kids that don't think they can handle a real bike.

Harley puts a lot of time and research into their engines. It has to work properly for them. Just because the Jap bikes have something doesn't mean that Harley will adopt it.

As for OHC, you don't always need to have that for power. I would have to check the cam type in my 02 Ranger (4 liter engine) but I know it has more torque then you would believe. It only has 207HP, but the torque will eat the pavement (and spit it onto your hood :p)

Check and see what S&S and Revtech are using for cam's in their aftermarket engines... Those guys do a lot more design work on theirs. Then again, there is something to be said for a block from Harley.

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay i just cant sit back here. im sorry. dig it. ahhhhh!

16. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

As far as american quality goes, yes american trucks last forever...but (speaking from experience) it's the little things that go wrong that really make them not worth the money. We owned two chrysler products and in both of them every other month there was something small that broke, a new rattle here or there, or a new recall because the engineers couldn't get things right. I think that there were 6 recalls on EACH of our vehicles within 2 years. They would have lasted, but we wouldn't have enjoyed owning them. There's been a total of 2 recalls on my toyota in 4 years. One was the steering nut wasn't tightened enough on the 98's, and the other was just a warning about if relatively frequent oil changes weren't performed, then there was some problem with oil solidifying or something like that. Nothing to worry about.

We do own Ford Explorers though...and for the most part, they are good cars. But there is a level of refinement that you get when you buy a foreign car/truck that you just don't get with the american ones. There is more money put into R&D overseas.

-Pete

17. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

WHAT the F*CK do you need/want that much power in a street car for??? That IS moronic. Just like those f*ckers that have the stereo systems that you can feel from a few hundred yards away. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

18. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The only recall I can think of from my 99 Ranger was the tires (got five free ones from it).

Say what you want about the explorer's, but the Ranger I bought has more then enough 'refinement' for me. 4 door supercab with bucket seats and all the bells and whistles I wanted... 16" wheels so that I can run right over those low riding Jap jobs without thinking twice about it... :p :D

BTW, the single serpentine belt is rated to go approx. 100,000 miles before needing to be changed/replaced... :p

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

to rape all them mustangs, camaros and transams and more than keep up with them hellified corvettes. its my f**cking preference homeboy just like riding harleys with awsome toruque is yours!

dig it.

20. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

It's probably the same engine we have in our explorer and it should be a SOHC engine. The car moves pretty well, for a big truck.

How about that engineering in a 5.7 liter V8 though?!?!?! 305 in a camaro could be a lot more if it has OHCs. Maybe even reduce the liters of the engine and put OHCs on it to save some weight and keep around the same amount of power?

And mustangs are big wuss cars unless you get the cobra. 260 out of a 4.6 liter V8? What is Ford thinking?

-Pete

21. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

22. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

IF I was to ever get a V8 engine, I would want at least a 5 liter (302) since they do NOT know how to quit.

23. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

i don't completely agree with either of you on that supra issue.

900 HP is absurd. So are those stereos that make people trunk rattle. I just laugh at them driving down the street. What's with the fad of lowering your truck to the ground also...kinda defeates the purpose of a truck.

900 HP would be cool though. I do feel that it's important to be able to save money now, and customize later to gain HP. For the money though, most of these retards could buy a Corvette and not have to deal getting a smaller car and hopping it up. The 'Vette might just be the best bang for the buck on the planet.

-Pete

24. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

my friend with the 1995 turbo MR2 raped one of those cobras...stock though.

it was funny to witness.