Cutting and fading CD tracks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vsp, Mar 27, 2005.

1. vsp macrumors regular

I know nothing about sound engineering or sound software so I'm casting around in the dark here.

For a non-professional performance, I need to create a CD of various songs. Each song will have to be cropped to a set time-limit, with a short fade out. So I'll be taking a song 3:22 in length, cutting it so I only have the first 1:15, and fade it out over the last 6 seconds or so.

There won't be a sound person for the performance, just someone who will know at which point to play which track, otherwise we could rely on manual fades.

I downloaded a trial copy of Sound Studio. Blindly messing around with it I have been able to take a CD file, copy it to my hard disk, crop that file to only the needed portion of the song, apply a fade at the end, then burn the new file to a CD. YAY!

Only, when I compare the song with the original CD, the sound is not as clear. I'd love to have CD quality sound for this, but apparently Sound Studio won't allow that (or, more likely, I haven't figured out how).

Can anyone walk me through the steps of getting CD quality sound out of the edited file? Or suggest another program that will give me high sound quality?

If there's an easier way of doing this, I'm all ears. I'm not tied to any one method, I just need to get this done. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

In sound studio, go file new, put in the file name and make certain that the rate is at 44.100, the sample size is 16 bit and also it is Stereo. Then you should have good output. ( you are burning via itunes right?)

Sound studio could have a cut off for the trial, but i have the full version so i would not know.....

3. vsp thread starter macrumors regular

I am burning in iTunes. I thought those were the settings (44.100, 16-bit, Stereo) in Sound Studio but I'll do it again and make sure that's what I've got.

Sound Studio does have a cut-off point but it's after 14 days of use, not a two-week trial period. Technically I could use it once a month and still be in the trial phase in 2006. Very nice system, I think.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do another run through today.

4. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Try downloading a trial of 'MP3 trimmer'. thats ALL this little app does is trim and fade mp3s. Then drag your trimmed versions back into an iTunes playlist and off you go-- You could also use something like Jam with Toast.