Cutting and Pasting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CommonMan, Oct 27, 2006.

1. CommonMan macrumors regular

CommonMan

I'm new to the MAC and OSX. I've got a lot of work to do which involves moving large numbers of files from on place to another. I'm used to using the simple cut and paste function in MS Windows Explorer. OS 10.3 does not seem to allow for this. It seems like it will only let me COPY and paste files.
    This is frustrating because I am wanting to move files from say an external HD to an internal HD and so on and I always have to go back and delete the files from the external HD (because I am using the external HD to go to another computer and get more data and then bring it to my MAC). Am I an idiot? Why does this seem so difficult. Am I always in a rush and have not taken the time to learn simple file manipulation functions from MAC OSX help?
    Not true completely. I have researched it to some extent. Also, am I an idiot for not searching the forums for the answer to this question before starting a new thread?:confused: :eek:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Trying holding down the Command key while you drag. When moving things internally, the default "drag" action is to move rather than copy. You have to hold down Option in order to copy. But when dealing with mountable media, the default is to copy. Holding down Command will enable you to move.

3. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

Wild Cowboy, I'm new to the Mac and the keyboard is driving me crazy! Where the heck is the "Command" key?

Regarding the other response, thanks...I will investigate that now.

4. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

5. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

The Command Key is the one by the spacebar that has the Apple logo on it and sort of funny square-ish squiggle. Depending on your keyboard you may also have a key labled "Alt" (like mine) but this key is most often referred to as the "Option" key in manuals. While I got the Command Key very quickly the Alt/Option key threw me for a bit...

6. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

Wow, that picture of the command key is so perfect. Where in the world did you find that? Thanks everyone. My wife suggested that I just take the Apple Tour.

7. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

Wikipedia is your friend! ;)

8. maskd macrumors newbie

Seems similar to a right-click + drag in Windows, in which when you drop it in another area, a context menu appears to either Copy, Cut, or Create Shortcut. In the Gnome desktop environment for linux, a middle-click + drag will create similar effects. I never copy files using drag to be honest, i prefer using keyboard shortcuts.