Cutting edge work - MS Vista Virus

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Aug 4, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Here they are, and before Christmas!

The newest in viral fun!

Vista Viruses

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Poor MS. They can't even get the thing out the door before its compromised. :D Reminds of XP's activation scheme that was cracked before it hit the shelves.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm sick and tired of new software coming out, and not supporting OS X. :mad:

Oh, wait, no I'm not. :D

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

osx been out for 4+ years, no viruses. vista out EIGHT FREAKING DAYS!! and someone writes a virus for it :D lmao!!

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehe... there goes that whole installed user base argument. :D There have gotta be more OS X users than Vista users, considering it isn't even out yet! :D :D :D

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Is it wrong to be crying with laughter at this point... ;)

The excuses will come next 'it's a beta', 'that's why we test it', 'it's supposed to have holes so that we can plug them before it launches'

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Swiss cheese wouldn't be swiss cheese if it didn't have....

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Eeeep, I just actually read the article carefully. So the viruses are not based on ActiveX. That actually is kind of a shock. It seems that this guy kicked Windows in the Monads. :eek: :eek: :D

Speaking of which, is BASH considered a big source of security issues in the Unix world? I'm surprised... if these are really viruses and not Trojan Horses or something else.... But then again I know next to nothing about Monad, except that it has a funny name. And actually, apparently an interesting history.

10. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Well, this is the point of a beta, after all. If there is a Vista virus 8 days after the gold release....well then it will be something very worrisome.

11. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

It gets better...

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11268

12. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

food for the fodder.

This is an article I will send to 3 family members thinking very hard and seriously about switching SOON.

I love the point made about installed base, they have virus problems now, with zero installed base!

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

By the end of 2005, they promise one virus per person. You can name your own. They'll be like pets.

14. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

so they exploit a command line tool in vista. isn't that something like terminal? and since terminal is safe and vista was built for safety isn't then something wrong here? obviously a commandline tool can be made safe but obviously not by M$.
    does this point to the fact that this whole "built for security" thing is BS?

too many questions :confused:

15. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

From reading a little bit on it, it seems that this now hacked code is developed for a dos alternative base system that may not even feature in the actual version launched. If it was the case, MS may as well just not bother releasing Vista. link

The problem was highlighted last year, which could explain the delays (MS may have just ditched the system and started afresh).

It's ridiculous though. Surely they must have some of the smartest programmers on the planet, yet they get whipped by one guy?!

16. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I'm not so sure they can be gifted the honor of "smartest programmers on the planet". They would have to write much cleaner code in order to be deemed that intelligent...

...for the rest of the problems, we'll blame MSFT's marketing department. They dont' seem to get what people really need. Ah well...

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm just floored by this - but I imagine in the world of hackers being the first to make a virus would give you bragging rights for a while :rolleyes:

I think we're (Mac Users) also lucky that everyone loves to mess with MS, but again, 8 days is amazing and scary at the same time.

D

18. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

What I mean is, Microsoft is one of the biggest corporations in the world with an obscene amount of money, global reach and a highly technical industry. They MUST have some of the brightest, smartest people available working on Vista. So why do they repeatedly have these problems?

The same goes for NASA I guess...

19. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

it's gonna suck when the first mac virus comes out for os x... we're all gonna get cynical and stupid and contradictory on these boards with conflicting views.. hopefullly that won't happen...

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'm curious as to why there aren't. I know mac os x is extremely secure, but, i think if they _really_ wanted to, surely hackers could figure out something.

Maybe they just really hate microsoft? and all use PowerBooks...hehe

21. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I'm positive they could do it if they wanted. But the point is to
    1) break into new territory (i.e. "#1 Vista Virus") or
    2) cause maximum damage

Most are option 2, which explains why there would be lack of viruses for Mac OS X. There just aren't enough of us to matter. (Security issues aside)

22. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I think what some people do not realize when everyone talks about market share, is that with an increase in this their would surely be an increase in viruses written for OSX, as it stands now if these hackers are doing it for bragging rights, they desire to inflict as many machines as possible. Is OSX that secure or is it that hackers just have not felt like wasting their time on us yet? I'm under the impression that OSX could be entered easily and it could become dangerous since this is something developers have not needed to really worry about. Anyone got any hard info on this topic?

23. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Right, that's exactly what I said. :)

24. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yeah, but look at all the notoriety and press this guy is getting for this first Vista virus. There's gotta be someone else who wants the same thing by cracking Mac OS X. There has to be someone with that 'professional thief' mentality. We always cheer those guys in the movies for breaking into the best secured vaults, even though we know what they're doing is illegal. Who would you rather be known as, in the circle of professional thieves: the one that broke into 90% of the vaults in the world, even though they all had wide-open backdoors, or the one that broke into the best-secured vault ever built, the vault that everyone said was un-crackable?

25. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I would be lieing if i said I knew the anwser or had any knowledge of this, but have people agreed that OSX is un-crackable? Has that been stated before? :confused: