Discussion in 'Community' started by sonofslim, Nov 21, 2003.

1. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    sorry, folks, no time to chat... i'm too busy drooling on THE CUBE I JUST BOUGHT! ah ha ha ha ha! AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! you'd laugh too, if you just bought a cube with half a gig of ram for... gadzooks, dare i say it? ...for LESS THAN THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!

(and the crowd chants: SON! OF! SLIM! SON! OF! SLIM!)

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
  3. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yeah more info, I've always liked the cube and almost bought one at an auction.
  4. sonofslim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    sorry, i just wanted a moment to shine. here's the deal: my office just bought a bunch of computer equipment & furniture from another company that's going out of business. while we were looking around at their stuff, they pointed out this lone cube and i jumped on it -- almost literally. and that was before they named a price, which turned out to be shockingly low. so i told them to throw it in with the rest of the lot, as a personal purchase. i didn't even check its specs -- since stock cubes go for $600+ on ebay, there was no way i could go wrong. finding half a gig of ram inside was just a bonus.

and then since we bought so much, they added a 15% discount to everything, bringing the cube to just under $300. at that price, i can throw in at least a 1ghz card, bump the ram, add an airport card, upgrade to OS X, and maybe swap out the DVD for a combo drive, and still pay far less than i would for a new machine. can't beat that!

it looks good, too -- no cracks, just a layer of office grime. and a good cleaning will take care of that.

man, i can't wait to get under the hood! i'm all aflutter!

5. etoiles macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    hope you'll spend some of that money you saved on a nice display...having a cube with an uggly display is like putting a bumper sticker on a Ferrari !

edit: I forgot, congratulations on your purchase !
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Congratulations on your purchase of a Cube, sonofslim. You really found once in a life deal. It sounds like you are going to have an awesome computer. Agree with etoiles, you should get a nice Cinema Display to accompany that bad boy.
  7. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    here's hoping those $600 cubies on ebay will cut itself down with a G5 cube in the works. i've seen those actually go up to $1000 without processor upgrades. maybe it was a few years ago. you really did get a good deal. at least get a cinema display. the 17 inchers aren't really too pricey. and it'll drop jaws when you have guests over. imagine all the desk real estate you'll save! god bless minimalism!
  8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    Speaking as someone who bought one of those $600 Cubes last year (w/1.2gb of ram included), all I can say is... it's been worth every penny. :D

Congrats and enjoy!
  9. sonofslim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    well thanks, all! i've been getting some crap from my friends about how excited i am over this, but i knew y'all would understand. i've been coveting a cube since they were released, and now one's basically fallen into my lap... how cool is that? i think the price was so low because they figured it based on the machine's specs, not realizing it had something of a collector's cache that boosts its value.

and yes, i plan on getting a sexy new display for it... and i'm looking for a wall-mounting system that would allow me to put a display at the end of a moveable arm or something -- like an iMac screen sticking out of the wall. i started a thread about it over in the hardware forum (seemed like a more relevant place) if anyone has any ideas.