Cyclone Larry

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wesli_1, Mar 19, 2006.

1. wesli_1 macrumors member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200603/s1596158.htm

Anyone else here from North QLD area? My family is up at Mission Beach, about 50km from Innisfail where the eye made landfall. Luckily the house doesn't have a scratch apart from water which came through gaps in doors and windows. Houses down the road not so lucky...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I can't believe how unscathed Queensland is. Apart from the obviously unavoidable power outages and infrastructure damage, everyone seems okay. :cool:

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Boy they're lucky it missed Cairns and Townsville.

Category 5 when it crossed land near Innisfail. Gusting winds up to 290-300km/h (180 - 190 mph). Very small eye so packing a real wallop.

ABC news is reporting widespread building damage, kilometres of powerlines are down, highways are blocked, there were images of huge trees not only uprooted but carried a long way from where they used to be - big bastard trees too. Looks like about 50,000 people are without power, will take a few days to get it back on.

Search and Rescue are already there, the PM has declared a state of emergency, SES is already there and the clean up is progressing well although it's a huge task. The airport is a priority so they can fly in supplies and stuff to set up a tent city until permanent arrangements can be made.

Innisfail is about 100km south of Cairns and has a population of 18,000. 8,000 of those living in the town itself.

It's destroyed the local banana and other fruit growing industry and is expected to cost around A$200 million in the final wash up. The next TC warning is likely to go out on Thursday fro TC Wattie which is looking very nasty although still a fair way away - it's Cat 3 already and has a long way to go over lots of warm water before it nears any land.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Looks pretty grim. Half the houses in Innisfail have been destroyed.

ABC News story.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I saw this in the papers. I can't even begin to imagine what a 185 mph wind is like. :eek:

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

god....that's an F3 tornado :eek:
    i hope all of our australian membeers are all right :(

7. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

how are all you aussie-land natives?

This was worse than Katrina. Wow. I also saw on Fox News earlier that a major hurricane may hit the NE this year:eek:

Also, a little side question, when i was small and lived down there, i went to a hotel near a place called hamilton island. does anyone know if it was in the path, and if it was, how the surrounding area held up. I went to that place several times and can still remember it (vaguely). Just hope it wasn't destroyed.

I hope all of you MR members down under are all right and didn't have any damage and lose anything.

8. hopejr macrumors 6502

I saw coverage about it on Sunrise yesterday. My parents know ppl in Innisfail, and my cousin lives in Townsville (it was her birthday yesterday too), but I don't know how any of them are. My mum said something about the Burdett River will probably burst its banks as a result and end up 30m higher than it is which will flood a huge area around Innisfail. Not good at all.

9. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Not good at all... I was watching it on SKY News yesterday it looked terrible.

Are they setting up a charity to aid those that lost their houses / businesses?

I saw the large plantations of Sugar & Banannas are completely destroyed.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Charity is already set up but the state and federal governments have pretty good disaster funds and plans set up.

Total cost so far is expected to be half a billion dollars. Very nasty but from what I've seen so far it's being handled very well. We have some very good volunteers in the SES and the military are well trained in disaster relief so the initial clean up won't take too long. It's the long term recovery that is going to take some time. This year was going to be one of the best sugar cane harvests in the last ten years after 8 very ordinary years and that's all gone now. As are the bananas, paw-paws, lychees, rambutans, a hell of a lot of the tropical fruit we all enjoy during the year.

11. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Just seen it all on the BBC - and sympathies to all. I'll so go along with garybUK's implied suggestion of donating to any charity that exists - maybe you can post details? I'll gladly contribute. Bummer about the crops.

I do feel a bit guilty about this. Never been sure about the Butterfly Effect in chaos theory. But I was shaking out my duvet cover in the garden a few days ago, maybe a bit too enthusiastically, and now -------

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, it's a bugger. I'm glad I live a couple of thousand kilometres below the usual TC path. Can't find the details about the charity, they're probably keeping a bit quiet at the moment to let the military go in and restore some basic services - lots of people without power and water and well, houses so once that happens and the media can get back in we'll start seeing the full extent. The report from the news is that the emergency services are putting their tsunami knowledge (we were one of the first on the scene in asia when it happened cause we were the closest country with the gear to help) in fixing what's happening up there.

Gonna be a long time coming back from this though for those poor people up there, it was worse than Cyclone Tracy that came in and literally flattened Darwin on Christmas Eve 1974. That was only a Cat 4 and it completely leveled the town. A 300kmh Cat 5 would be inconceivable if it hit a major city like Cairns or Townsville.

So far though, the reports of deaths are few if not zero and there are few casualties.

13. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

With all the news on TV just yesterday about the extreme weather conditions causing so much damage in Australia, Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, the mud slides in the Middle East and South America last year, along with the dire predictions made by such films as "The Day After Tomorrow" and the prophets of global warming, we shouldn't forget that England has its share of devastating weather too.

I've attached a photo illustrating the damage caused to a friend's home from a storm that passed through Southern England a few days ago. It really makes you realise what others suffer and to cherish what you have, that we are all global brothers and sisters in adversity and reminds us not to take things for granted.

God bless us all.

damage2.JPG

14. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

ROFL! I printed that one out for whenever I need a pick-me-up!

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

you are so going to hell. :D :p (meet you there)

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh man....:( that poor chair. Imagine the clean up, you're so gonna need 2 towels.

17. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Not sure, but I think it's all too late and I am already there --- and, (looking out for you, but um --- where ARE you?)

18. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

That was one nasty cyclone. I just can't imagine anything like that happening. I hope everyone is able to get things cleaned up quickly and back on their feet!

19. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Thanks! The whole country is in shock, but we are putting our best stiff lips on show and trying not to make a big deal of it. Needless to say, all of our transport systems are down, people are hiding behind their sofas and panic-buying is being reported. But we'll get by... maybe. Think of us, though, in our (yet another) hour of desperation. This is being posted with failing electric power and looting going on in the streets. Oh oh! Life can be soooo difficult. Got to go now - Bye! *glug glug glug*

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Daleks???

21. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Oh bl*@dy hell!!!! Not them on top of all our other worries!! Lord, will it never end? Do they still do assisted passages for emigrating to Australia?

22. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Hello! Um - er - struggling here with the meaning of ROFL? Is it an insult or something? WTF, IMHO, FWIW, help please?