Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cycloramic.jpg
Cycloramic is a clever panoramic video app that was released earlier this week. Unlike most panorama apps available for the iPhone, Cycloramic doesn't require users to hold the phone steady while rotating in a circle.

Instead, the app takes advantage of the strong vibrating feature of the iPhone. When balanced on a flat surface such as a granite countertop, the phone will spin on its own, capturing a hands-free 360 degree video using either the front-facing or rear camera. TechCrunch has a rundown on how it works:
Start by balancing your phone upright on a flat surface (a granite countertop or glass table). The surface has to be really smooth, so don't expect any non-laminated wood or tiles to work.

Once you press "GO", the app will make the phone vibrate at just the right frequencies to force to phone into a twirl. Your iPhone will continue to spin in a circle, which recording video, until you press the "STOP" button.
Though Cycloramic will work with the iPhone 4/4S, it was designed for the iPhone 5's lightweight form factor, which means the older iPhones won't spin as well. The phone must also be set to "Vibrate on Silent" and "Vibrate on Ring" to function properly.

Cycloramic can be downloaded from the App Store for $0.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Cycloramic App Captures Hands-Free 360 Degree Video Using iPhone's Vibrate Motor

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Cycloramic is a clever panoramic video app that was released earlier this week. Unlike most panorama apps available for the iPhone, Cycloramic doesn't require users to hold the phone steady while rotating in a circle.

Instead, the app takes advantage of the strong vibrating feature of the iPhone. When balanced on a flat surface such as a granite countertop, the phone will spin on its own, capturing a hands-free 360 degree video using either the front-facing or rear camera. TechCrunch has a rundown on how it works:
YouTube: video
Though Cycloramic will work with the iPhone 4/4S, it was designed for the iPhone 5's lightweight form factor, which means the older iPhones won't spin as well. The phone must also be set to "Vibrate on Silent" and "Vibrate on Ring" to function properly.

Cycloramic can be downloaded from the App Store for $0.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Cycloramic App Captures Hands-Free 360 Degree Video Using iPhone's Vibrate Motor

that is so cool

Feltzem

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
Wow, I just tried it and it actually works! So cool. It would make for a pretty good party trick - hey look, my phone can spin round in a circle by itself!

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Are there any examples of the finished video? I'd love to see what this actually does.

All I can find is a video of the camera.

EDIT: I just found some on Youtube. Still wondering why they never showed an example in the article.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Now let's see it work on a rough picnic table. Or a railing edge. Or a slanted rock. Or a sandy beach. Or a car dashboard. Or your knee. It seems to me that almost anywhere you would actually want to take a panoramic photo seems like it would be impossible for this to function. Unless you like taking panoramas of your desk or living room.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Kinda weird they didn't show an examples of the finished panorama int he video, just the phone spinning around over and over again.

carlos916

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Looks like fun until the phone gets all scratched up from the bottom.. And funny that the phone they use on the video is all used and abused .. Nevertheless its a cool app

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
What a disturbing little video clip...Jobs' face so awkward lol. And one rotation would have been quite enough - show the results afterwards instead!

Really cool app though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.